Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

98' Eldorado Starting issues...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Default 98' Eldorado Starting issues...

I have a 1998 Eldorado ELC 4.6 liter w/ bose stereo and 147k miles. For the past 6 months or so I have had issues starting my car. I replaced the starter and it did not resolve the issue so finally I took it to a local Cadillac dealer. They informed me it was simply a lose positive terminal connection on my battery and a build up of corrosion. The car was fixed and every time I couldnt start my car, I simply tightened the terminal and away I go. I finally replaced the battery thinking the new terminal would be resolve any starter issues and it did up until I tried starting my car yesterday. It wouldnt start in the same fashion as before, I would turn the ignition and I would hear a single pop and then nothing. I cleaned off the terminal and the wires of any corrosion and made sure there was solid contact area on the cable but then when I went to start my car, I turned the key in the ignition and the trunk opened along with the gas door and would not start. I think it's either the ignition or the comp. Anyone have any input as to why turning the ignition would cause the trunk and the gas door to open and not start the car?

Old 11-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 98' Eldorado Starting issues...

Low battery voltage, you problely need new positive cable. If wire part of cable is green or reddish you need to replace it.