Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

97 Eldorado Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Default 97 Eldorado Overheating

I just got her. I had test driven and knew it was overheating a little.

I immediately took it in and had a new thermostat installed.

On the drive home...

60+ miles some small hills and freeway speeds with no problems. Got to the big hill (Snoqualmie Pass in WA) and it did fine (needle at midpoint) until I hit the summit (at the end of the climb) and then it overheated again.There was no coolant leak, no visible or audible problems other than the guage showing overhating. I let it sit and cool down, and then popped the cap. It spewed out some coolant and you could tell it was hot.

When it was done I filled it back up and drove home with no problems (another 100+ miles).

Today, drove a 50 mile trip and it overheated at the end of a steep climb again. Needle didn't move during the climb, it was at the end when we had just leveled out, just like the first time. It started climbing and almost hit the red zone (I cranked the heat up and it went back down).

There are no visible leaks, no coolant in the oil, none of the normal signs I would look for. There has been no coolant loss since I added it on the pass.

I am taking it in to the shop but want to hear suggestions from the experts here first. Any ideas? It is a beautiful car. Just want the problem solved!

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 97 Eldorado Overheating

ORIGINAL: dave_bender

I just got her. I had test driven and knew it was overheating a little.

I immediately took it in and had a new thermostat installed.

On the drive home...

60+ miles some small hills and freeway speeds with no problems. Got to the big hill (Snoqualmie Pass in WA) and it did fine (needle at midpoint) until I hit the summit (at the end of the climb) and then it overheated again.There was no coolant leak, no visible or audible problems other than the guage showing overhating. I let it sit and cool down, and then popped the cap. It spewed out some coolant and you could tell it was hot.

When it was done I filled it back up and drove home with no problems (another 100+ miles).

Today, drove a 50 mile trip and it overheated at the end of a steep climb again. Needle didn't move during the climb, it was at the end when we had just leveled out, just like the first time. It started climbing and almost hit the red zone (I cranked the heat up and it went back down).

There are no visible leaks, no coolant in the oil, none of the normal signs I would look for. There has been no coolant loss since I added it on the pass.

I am taking it in to the shop but want to hear suggestions from the experts here first. Any ideas? It is a beautiful car. Just want the problem solved!

Thanks!
Dave,

IF you didnt test for compression and headgasket integrity, I hope you got this car cheap, really cheap.

Should it be the headgasket and the car being 10 years old is about right for coolant issues, you will be looking at a tear down of $3,000 to $5,000 .. maybe more.

Do I have your attention now?

Go to the FAQ and read the topics of coolant and headgaskets, it is all explained there.
We also have many, and I mean many cars that went thought his - you can search for those.

It may well be somethig else, but I sure would test the engine compression and headgasket integrity now.
IF that check out OK, go through the list of things that make an overheat.

MY guess is that the seller knew all this and also knew you wouldnt realy find out on a test drive around the block.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:33 PM

nah, 3-5k is bull, 1500-2000 is more accurate, either way spend the money and get the gaskets and bolts replaced

Old 04-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Certified Members

Have shop run co test. Its possible radiator could be restricted, or baffle missing under front bumper since you used heater and got engine temp under control. Head Gaskets 22.4 hours times local labor rate. Time-serts add up to 6.0 hr.more, so the 3k + is very possible.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:58 PM

i had the same problem with my grand am gt turned out to be a blown head gasket... it would drive fine and stay steady for a while and then start to overheat after driving it for 30 mins

Old 05-10-2008, 06:17 AM

You also want to check for hydro-carbons in the coolant...which most any shop could check for...especially if they do smog checks. That would point to a headgasket failure also. I've heard different prices for this job, by different people. Its not a hard job if your mechanicaly inclined, just time consuming...and thats whats gonna cost you, when you bring it to the shop. Goodluck with it.