Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

95 Eldorado

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Default 95 Eldorado

Recently got a 95 Eldorado ETC, and I've noticed since I had it for one week, I got it and the oil read 97% and a week later 93%. I always check underneath the car and i never see any oil leaking or anything else. I was also concerned about the temperater it ran, but then I found out that
196 - 224 is normal to high for the northstar. My cooling system is working fine now, atleast for the winter time now that its subzero tempratures atleast. I've heard that northstar 4.6s, atleast Eldorados, tend to throw away the first quart of oil and just cycle the rest. Have I heard rite or am I mistaken. Can anyone tell me what's happening with my oil. Thanks a lot

Old 02-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 95 Eldorado

Oil life degrades faster during times of operation in extreme cold or hot temps. Oil life is not a indicator of how much oil is in pan, it is a calculation of the condition of the oil.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:23 PM

well thanks a lot for the reply slowroll, i was really concerned about it. I'm guessing with that answered i feel a lot better about it now and know everything is fine with that. It's been f***in cold as hell these last few days, goin -10 for 2 days. I hate chicago weather. thanks a lot though, I apreciate the reply

Old 02-12-2008, 02:45 PM

actually i just happend to notice that everyday the oil life on the dash on my 95, does down by one percent. I'm not sure if that's normal, good or bad, but like you said if it's not leaking and the oil life is going down that just means that it will have to be changed when the oil life is around the single digits. If it keeps going down like this, then the oil will have to be change in 3 months eventually, or regular oil change time. Its at 91% now, going down by 1% a day meaning 91 days or 3 months. Is this normal for these cars? thanks a lot post would really be appreciated.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Tech Certified Members

It maybe normal for your ARTIC climate. When spring comes this July (LOL) oil life should increase to 4-8k between oil changes.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:04 PM

lolz no, it's a bit warmer now it's like 18 degrees today, its supposed to start getting warmer soon too maybe the 40's in a week. I'll see how the oil life drops then. thanks for the post

Old 02-12-2008, 10:45 PM

slowroll i also wanted to ask you since you seem pretty knowledgable, you know how on the 96 and up eldorados on the dash the temperature is on a gauge and the ones before 95 are digital. I was wondering if you know what temperature the normal bottom low and normal top high are on the 96 and up so i can refernce what's normal on my digital dash. thanks a lot

Old 02-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

you may also find this interesting. The folks that wrote it are the folks that developed the GM engine oil life monitor.

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_5792/tm.htm

Also, take a look at the other topics in the FAQ section.