Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

93 Eldorado Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:17 AM
Default 93 Eldorado Help

Just picked up a sweet 93 Eldorado (w/Northstar) but it needs a little TLC. Currently It has these issues....

On the readout it says to service the airbag and suspension, and the inside of the car smells like exhaust big time while going down the road sometimes and some times stutters when stopped at a red light.

Here are the codes it is throwing:

R061 = Airbag
R062 = Airbag
S044 = Lift or dive fault
S060 = Left front sensor fault
S061 = Right front sensor fault
P044 = Right 02 Lean
P036 = EGR out of range
P030 = ISC RPM out of range
P013 = Right 02 not ready
P039 = T/C problem

Any idea where to start? I really need this car drivable quickly. The emissions part is my number 1 priority right now. I'm wondering if an exhaust leak would cause all those codes to blow. I am smelling exhaust pretty strong at times in the seating area while going down the road. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 93 Eldorado Help

Probably a leaking intake plenum for the lean codes and related to the ISC out of range.Right OXY not ready also because of a vacuum leak. Air bag codes are usually related to a prior collision. ABS sensor faults have to do with the sensors noted in the codes, so check for disconnected, chafed harnesses at the front strut mounting points for the ABS sensor harnesses. T/C problem probably related to a weak torque converter clutch. Usually requires a trans rebuild to fix. EGR code usually refers to cleaning the EGR pipes within the intake manifold of built up carbon. Sounds to me like this cars been wrecked and not put back together completely or properly?? Where to start, get a factory service manual and attack the codes in the order they display.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Tech Certified Members

You will need FSM to deal with air bag light.
Check to see if position sensors are there and attached to front lower control arms as carnut suggested.
PCM codes take EGR valve off and see if its closed. if its stuck open it could cause multiple codes. You need to learn to use 'on-board' to figure out what wrong. P39 TCC high chance trans repair is required but it could one of the brake switches.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: CaptainCaveMan

Just picked up a sweet 93 Eldorado (w/Northstar) but it needs a little TLC. Currently It has these issues....

On the readout it says to service the airbag and suspension, and the inside of the car smells like exhaust big time while going down the road sometimes and some times stutters when stopped at a red light.

Here are the codes it is throwing:

R061 = Airbag
R062 = Airbag
S044 = Lift or dive fault
S060 = Left front sensor fault
S061 = Right front sensor fault
P044 = Right 02 Lean
P036 = EGR out of range
P030 = ISC RPM out of range
P013 = Right 02 not ready
P039 = T/C problem

Any idea where to start? I really need this car drivable quickly. The emissions part is my number 1 priority right now. I'm wondering if an exhaust leak would cause all those codes to blow. I am smelling exhaust pretty strong at times in the seating area while going down the road. Thanks for the help.

You knew all this when you bought it, right?
was the car with a special title?

Old 06-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Smile 93 eldorado

I am not a "mechanic" but have successfully repaired several electrical issues on my 93 eldo (I have the 4.9). One thing I notice is any one or all of these codes could be generated by a loose or dirty connection in the wiring harness or where the harness is connected to the ECM. The car is 21 years old and its bound to have loose, dirty, cracked or damaged connections. I always start there. That has saved me from buying uneccessary parts a few times. Who knows, you might find one loose common connection, fix it and your off!