Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

1996 Cadillac Eldorado needs emergency HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 09:08 PM
Default 1996 Cadillac Eldorado needs emergency HELP PLEASE

I bought a used 96 Eldorado and left the sellers home so happy. The next morning, I was driving it and the overheating engine problems began. I'd go for about 15 minutes and the warning would come that the car was going to shut itself off.
I took it to autozone and the code reader said misfire in 1, map sensor, egr valve. I then saw a
Leak in Radiator that couldn't be fixed. So I replaced it. The car ran, but still overheated. Then I changed the map sensor and the car would not start.
​​​​​​When I replaced the map sensor, I noticed that the battery cables were corroded badly. So, I cut the corroded part of the cable, and put a new post on it. I even replaced the battery. It also, got a new starter. The battery/cable fix seemed to clear all of the emissions warnings that were on the dash. And I actually, got it started for about 5-10 minutes then the check engine light came on the shortly stalled out. Also, I noticed that the car lost a full volt on the dash reader. That tells me that the alternator is fried. I have cleaned the egr valve, and reinstall.
I am at my wits end with this car and am about to have it towed to Detroit and have it fire bombed in front of the old GM world headquarters. I've run out of money, and I need transportation. This is my last ditch effort to salvage the investment I have made. I should have done this first, but I did not. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!
​​​​​
​​​​
​​

Old 02-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Tech Certified Members

there is an element of risk buying older Northstars but most likely it's too late now. You should have replaced positive cable. The positive battery posts used to leak acid which would wick deep into wire. You need the correct ac delco or GM cable. Have a CO test performed on the cooling system to see if head gasket is blown. The alternator may be OK.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Default The alternator is working, but is this the right alternator?

I had the alternator tested at autozone and it works. The problem is that I am not sure if the right alternator was in place. When we removed it, we noticed that the harness was melted slightly. I have no idea if that is the factory alternator. My guess is that it is not. There are no clear part numbers. What worries me is that my Eldorado has a heated windshield, and that the wrong alternator was replaced the factory alternator. Is there a way to see if my theory is correct by appearance alone, or how can I know for sure? Also, if it turns out that I have had a weaker alternator, how much of the wiring needs to be replaced? Is it just the alternator harness, or does the whole thing need to be replaced?
Thank you

Old 02-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Tech Certified Members

I have never seen a heated windshield in the last run of eldos. The windshield would have a gold tint in the sun if it was heated. They all had rear defoggers. What was the output?

Old 02-07-2017, 10:07 PM

To answer your question, the output of the alternator is 140 amps.
Now, for the sake of clarity, I am referring to the rear windshield being heated. It has the gold lines across the back, and a button on the air control panel underneath the off switch.
I have been plenty a fancy car, but I have never heard of a heated front windshield. I have allways used the defrost from the heater to get rid of the morning fog. Which window, front or rear are you talking about?

Old 02-08-2017, 10:19 AM
Tech Certified Members

There was a time when a front heated windshield was available as a option. it used 220v and replacement glass was 2k.It was an option on some Lincolns and Cadillacs in the late 80s early 90s. 140 amp sounds right I suspect you have the correct alternator.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Default Thank you for your time and help

I feel like an idiot about my comments about the windshield heater. I have never heard of such a thing. This car purchase has definitely been a learning experience for me. Before I did this all I knew about cars, was how to call the mechanic. Anyway, thank you for your help. I am sure it is not over yet, so if I post another question, I would definitely appreciate your help again.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Default Thank you for your time and help

I feel like an idiot about my comments about the windshield heater. I have never heard of such a thing. This car purchase has definitely been a learning experience for me. Before I did this all I knew about cars, was how to call the mechanic. Anyway, thank you for your help. I am sure it is not over yet, so if I post another question, I would definitely appreciate your help again.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:10 PM

There were Ford Taurus and Merc Sables that had heated FRONT windshields. Yes they had a orangish tint to them.