Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

V.A.T.s Key Lost....Can Anyone Provide Knoweledgeable Solution

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Default V.A.T.s Key Lost....Can Anyone Provide Knoweledgeable Solution

So As the subject says I lost my VATS key to My 1991 cadillac Deville.....I have no Idea which of the 15 resistor "chips" my key has in it.....I really dont want to have to buy all 15 keys at$10 a piece, then pay to have them cut, and so on and so forth....I don't want to have to pay a dealer either.....Is there a way to figure out whichof the 15 my car takes withouthaving the key....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This would save me lots of time and money.
Thanks in advance!
Josh Jackson
Oakland, CA

Old 12-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: V.A.T.s Key Lost....Can Anyone Provide Knoweledgeable Solution

If you don't want to deal with dealer you are SOL. and take you guess at which blank. Provided you have a key to trace. With registration and ID you maybe able to get original code with vats blank code. If you dont have blank to trace, get non vats blank cut to see if it will work, Then get vats key cut. Odds are ignition cylinder has been changed. No blank to trace you will need new cylinder and original vats blank#. In the very unlikelyhood vats was changed, Only a dealer can get car to start again.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:43 AM

ok heres a simple solution for u ready? This is ALSO good for people who have their chipkeys and dont want to buuy more. go to the dealer with a multi meter, get the dealer to pull u the V.A.T and get u the key with the proper chip in it, DONT BUY IT, measure the resistance between the two poles of the chip and write it down, then get yerself a non chip key tumbler, sumtimes u get lucky and a junk yard has one with a key, now this is the fun part, take that resistance u measured and get AS CLOSE AS U POSSIBLY CAN with a or multiple resistors, go under your dashboard and find the ORANGE or BLUE tube with two really thin white wires inside, cut em and solder in the resitors on the side that runs to the computer, not to the tumbler, now put yer new tumbler in, and fire it up, you will neveer need to buy a chip key again, (Note: this can also be done on a stock chip key tumbler without changing the tumbler, rip the chip out of your old key and make new copies with out chips) the car will fire with out a chip every time, if it starts the first time, put it all together and enjoy, if it does not, then u need to get closer to your stock key's resistance, when i did mine the resistance of the key was 14.52 ohms, and my resister i built was 14.36 ohms and it starts fine.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: Lithorian

ok heres a simple solution for u ready? This is ALSO good for people who have their chipkeys and dont want to buuy more. go to the dealer with a multi meter, get the dealer to pull u the V.A.T and get u the key with the proper chip in it, DONT BUY IT, measure the resistance between the two poles of the chip and write it down, then get yerself a non chip key tumbler, sumtimes u get lucky and a junk yard has one with a key, now this is the fun part, take that resistance u measured and get AS CLOSE AS U POSSIBLY CAN with a or multiple resistors, go under your dashboard and find the ORANGE or BLUE tube with two really thin white wires inside, cut em and solder in the resitors on the side that runs to the computer, not to the tumbler, now put yer new tumbler in, and fire it up, you will neveer need to buy a chip key again, (Note: this can also be done on a stock chip key tumbler without changing the tumbler, rip the chip out of your old key and make new copies with out chips) the car will fire with out a chip every time, if it starts the first time, put it all together and enjoy, if it does not, then u need to get closer to your stock key's resistance, when i did mine the resistance of the key was 14.52 ohms, and my resister i built was 14.36 ohms and it starts fine.

There is a thread in the FAQ section that also addresses some of this.