Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Transmission slipping, check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Default Transmission slipping, check engine light

Here are the basic facts.

2002 DeVille. 71k miles. Transmission began showing signs of a problem a week ago. The car would shake bad after 45 mph for a few seconds on light throttle. I noticed the engine RPM was a bit higher than normal at cruise speed. I also checked to see if the torque converter was locking up by touching the brake pedal just enough to activate the brake lights while hold cruise speed with the throttle. The engine RPM didn't change. Since the car was still shifting OK and I heard no strange noises, I continued to drive the car on my daily 150 mile round trip commute to work. On day three the CHECK ENGINE SOON light came on and remained on. On day 5 the trans began to slip badly from a dead stop. This is when I knew time was up so I dropped the car off at a Cadillac Dealer near my work location.

This is basically what the dealer found.

They told me a main shaft seal of some sort had failed, which had something to do with oil control to the electronics that controlled the torque converter lock up.??? They also said a engine mount, one outer tie rod end was bad and the valve covers were leaking and the brakes pads were close to the end of life. (40k miles, on the pads, so that's about right)

I understood they were going to pull the trans and replace the converter along with the other seals and gaskets required.

I agreed to go ahead with the engine mount and tie rod replacement too.

Total cost is around $3200.00

Is this inline with this type of trans failure?

Old 11-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Transmission slipping, check engine light

ORIGINAL: cosmictrucker

Total cost is around $3200.00

Is this inline with this type of trans failure?
For all that work you had done (brakes, mount, tie rod, trans repair) that price seems about right.

Also, (the funny part) he let me know about the 112 mph cruise cut off code they pulled. I laughed and admitted I had bumped that cut off more than once, and asked him if they could remove the limit. He thought I was asking if they could remove the code, but I was asking to remove the damn top speed cutoff. He claimed it wasn't possible.

Does GM hold this information over your head as some sort of excuse to NOT pay for warranty work? My car is not covered under any warranty, so I'm not concerned, just curious.
In my experience GM does not try to get out of paying for repairs that are covered under warranty. On the contrary, dealers are given a good bit of leeway (?SP) to help loyal customers who have out of warranty problems.
Also the dealer does not have access to removing speed limiting software that is programmed into your cars computer.
Can you picture the liability they would assume for removing safety equipment from a vehical.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:35 AM
Default RE: Transmission slipping, check engine light

I'm having he exact same problem...but i cant spend that much money. any suggestions?