Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

tiny jerks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Default tiny jerks!

I put alot of money into my 96 deville already. from a new trany to resealing the lower gasget. hoses changed , radiator leaks fixed, bearings on the wheels, arcon fixed. cylnoids changed.

now when i almost get to a complete stop or i have stopped, i feel a tiny jerk like its not idling right or something? any ideas of what it is and how much it would cost?

Old 04-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: tiny jerks!

Warning lights? Codes? Check grounds at engines.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

ICM? Codes?

Old 04-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

My 98 had this sort of symptom at one time about 18 months ago. Does your tach bounce up and down maybe a 100 or 150 rpms? I went at it slowly but eventually changed the wires and plugs but ther real culprit was a rusted terminal on one of the coil packs. AC Delco Wires will run you about $250, AC plugs about $20 per, a coil pack about $85. With those changes the car ran and still runs like a champ. I'd also look at the air filter and fuel filter, basically every car needs air, fuel and spark to run.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:29 PM

is it when you have your foot on the gass that you feel the jerks? cuz my 94 concours was kinda doin that. another symptom was that when i took my foot off the pedal when moving, my car would not slow down. it would even speed up if it was under a certain speed.

so what it ended up being was the ignition control valve (ICV). its the screw that pushes the throttle open and dictates how far it lets it close. what had happened was it had "popped". i say that because the screw had not left the solenoid, but it had come out of the solenoid too far for it to be useful anymore. this made my car idle way too high and feel like it was trying to jerk forward when i was stopped. it was really subtle though so it may not be the only problem, if it is, that you have man. good luck though

oh, and i couldnt tell ya if it had anything to do with rpms at all cuz for some reason my concours won't show rpms or engine temp anywhere...

Old 04-30-2008, 02:25 AM

I had a similar problem years back on my 1990 Eldo. When coming to a stop it seemed to jerk forward a little and sometimes while stopped , but otherwise seemed to run fine. It turned out that I had a couple of bad injectors. I replaced them and the 'jerking' stopped. I can't say that this is your problem, but it solved mine.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default Cadillac with tiny jerks!

You got some great responses .. but .. until we get the codes, we are all guessing.

The codes may well narrow the cost of fixing the problem to 1/2 price of all them parts above.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:06 PM

i just recently had my car fixed from an electrical problem 3 weeks ago, it was a bad solenoid and 3 misfires. besides that theres no other codes to tell my car has a problem. i have a friend that works at good year, i told him my problem, and he told me it happens when ur car gets old and has something to do with water pressure and and air pressure. thanks for all the good replies though, it helps me alot.but theres is no more codes showin up. i plan to fix it soon. ill give u guys the feed back