Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Suspension Bottoms Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Default Suspension Bottoms Out

My '99 Deville (with 79,000 miles) bottomed out when fully loaded with passengers going over a speed bump (at a very low speed). The car drives nicely and handles well for a vehicle of its size and weight. The tires are very evenly worn. I did the old shock absorber test we used to do before struts and it didn't bounce but once. When you look at the car from outside - not underneath, it doesn't seem to have sagging springs. I'm thinking it needs shocks/strut cartridges. Does this sound like a reasonable assumption? I'm hoping it's not springs because I think they may be expensive to replace.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Default RE: Suspension Bottoms Out

I'm sorryI don't have an answer for your question, but your screen name caught my eye. Is that a reference to the late 1960's animated TV show about a boy and his remote control robot? I remember watching that show as a kid but haven't thoughtabout it in years! Thanks for the moment of nostalgia and best of luck fixing your ride.
Mike.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: gigantor

My '99 Deville (with 79,000 miles) bottomed out when fully loaded with passengers going over a speed bump (at a very low speed). The car drives nicely and handles well for a vehicle of its size and weight. The tires are very evenly worn. I did the old shock absorber test we used to do before struts and it didn't bounce but once. When you look at the car from outside - not underneath, it doesn't seem to have sagging springs. I'm thinking it needs shocks/strut cartridges. Does this sound like a reasonable assumption? I'm hoping it's not springs because I think they may be expensive to replace.
suddenly I am thinking 5 people weighing 350 lbs each .. am I on target?

did the grinding start before or after the crash ?

Old 05-08-2008, 06:25 AM

Yep - It's the old cartoon character! javascript:void(AddText('')) I work with college students and one of them has been getting on me for going off my diet and not exercising.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Tech Certified Members

[IMG]local://upfiles/3799/29C3088DC27F4F82BAB158738AC17F70.jpg[/IMG]

ORIGINAL: gigantor

Yep - It's the old cartoon character! javascript:void(AddText('')) I work with college students and one of them has been getting on me for going off my diet and not exercising.

my heart goes out for that poor Deville ...
hey, maybe an Escalade is calling ...

hey, I never met one person that lost and kept off any lbs with diets, but certainly, they become miserable.
IMHO, either change the lifesytle of eating or enjoy the one (lifestyle) you got.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:24 AM

I have a '96 DeVille and last November I put on the Strutmasters shock and strut kit. With purchasing the kit and having my mechanic install them it cost me around $900. I've been very happy with this on my car and it does ride smooth. Just an option for you if you find that the air suspension is gone.