Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Output Axle Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Default Output Axle Bearing

Help!
Can the passenger side output axle bearing be replaced without removing the extension housing? I replaced the hub and drive axles a few months ago. I'm hoping what I'm hearing from the right front is this bearing. Any help much appreciated.

1996 Deville

Thanks,
Vernon

Old 01-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Output Axle Bearing

I need a little more info. Diff is part of trans if bearing came apart you have bigger problems.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:10 PM

Full story: I'm not an auto mechanic, but I'm mechanically inclined so I may not fully understand everything you're saying but I I believe in diagrams, books, and asking a millon questions. The noise I'm hearing started about a month ago and has gotten increasingly louder since then. It appears to be coming from the right side. At lower speeds it sounds more like scraping rather than a knocking sound. It seems like one scrape per tire revolution. As I speed up it sounds like a tire with bubble on it. Over the summer I replaced the driver side CV axle and it didn't break loose from the drive output shaft. I ended up pulling the CV axle and output shaft connected together right through the transmission with the snap ring still on it. ( I can't help but think that this may have caused some damage). With the front end raised, motor on,brake pads off...just hubs, in drive...if i hold the passenger side there is no noise. When I hold the driver side the noise is there. I pulled the extension case yesterday and took it today to a local gargage. He said the housing bushing and output shaft thrust bearing are fine. Now I'm lost. Any Ideas? 1996 Cadu DeVille, 4.6L, 4T80E Trans.

Thanks,
Vernon

Old 01-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Certified Members

Has a mechanic / auto tech listened to your condition? With noises on the the I-net its hard to advise you. Throwing parts/money at it can get disillusioning fast.