Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

performace parts for a 1987 cadillac deville

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Default performace parts for a 1987 cadillac deville

does any body know where ya can get performance parts for a 1987 deville i like the car and all it just doesnt have the power i whant and the car keeps giving me an error code e28 e48ee28 e26and f 48 does any of these effect my performance at all thanx

Old 02-26-2007, 01:24 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: performace parts for a 1987 cadillac deville

HEY Brick: You never mentioned which engine you have in your ride, is it the 250 or the 305. Do you have the carb. or DFI??? Might be able to help with the tuning end for a few more horsepower. What were you thinking as far as perf. parts, cams and headers , that sort of thing, or high perf. fuel injection and ignition parts. Caddies are fun aren,t they??

Old 02-26-2007, 03:12 PM

e28 is a current code and ee28 is a history code.IOW it has it now and it's had it fora long time....Open Third or Fourth Gear Circuit
e26=shorted throttle switch circuit
e48=EGR system fault
e=current code ee=history code
f48=low refrigerant pressure
f=current ff=history
E codes are powertrain trouble codes(Electronic Control Module). F codes are Body Control Module trouble codes and have to do with climate control.
I know of no perf. parts available for the 4.1L engine.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Well that EGR problem will mess up your throttle response and off the line acceleration and I suspect that the E26 fault isn't helping anything. As far as perfomance enhancements you are out of luck for after market engine parts. You can probably help the breathing with a cold air induction kit. A unit for a similar model may work or you can make your own. I made my own on a 1992 Bonneville with basic plumbing clamps utilizing a K&N filter for the Vortec 5.7 GMC/Chevy Truck. It really brought that engine to life, a seat of the pants difference. It also had decent curb appeal when the hood was raised. I also put on a OEM exhaust system from the top of the line SSEi which was throatier with dual outlets which were dressed with stainless tips very similar to stock SSEi - Reactive brand. My RPM's dropped by about 200 at 100 kph (62 MPH) with that system so it definitely made a few more ponies. I do not know the 87 Deville undercar set up well but I think that SSEi dual system will bolt in there as I think the two cars shared many components including basis chassis. If it doesn't bolt right in I think with minor mods it will. I suspect that the 6 cylinder throbbing muffler will add a nice rumble to your V8 too. I think with these two fairly inexpensive changes you would enjoy driving the car much more. BTW I like the look of the 87 Deville, lots of classic Cadillac in them. I always say do some reasearch on other GM products and see what is available and transferrable to your car. With my Bonneville the shop manual covered the 87 to 2000 Buick and Olds as well so your car probably has some over lap with the 98 and Electra too which overlap the Bonneveille, 88 and Lesabre.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:26 PM

What model DeVille do you have? FWD or RWD?

Old 02-27-2007, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Dave S Texas

What model DeVille do you have? FWD or RWD?
Good point, I thought Devilles were FWD in 87.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:38 PM

My Coupe is FWD, but I'm not sure about the 4-Dr DeVille......

Old 02-27-2007, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

I looked up the 1987 Sedan Deville. It is listed as a FWD C-Body. I believe this bears out my post, the Olds 98 and Buick Electra are also C-Bodies, I believe the Bonneville, 88 and LeSabre are known as H-Bodies. The variation is in wheel base I believe. Only the Cadillac C-Body has a V8, all others run the 3.8 V6 in a variety of configuarions. Early 88's and Lesabres were available with 3.0 V6 if I am not mistaken.Many parts on these six cars are interchangeable.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

I think the air cleaner on the 87 Deville is a traditional round unit which is different than the others which used an air box behind the headlights. If Yes this opens up some other air intake possibilities like an open element or ram air style. Sounds like fun. Any engine pics available?

Old 02-27-2007, 07:40 PM

uhhh it is a traditional round unit air filter it is a baby blue cadillac deville 87 4 door sedan 4.1 litter v8 i think the 250 and on those error code could ya put in percise detail how to fix it please pics of ot would be nice so i can fix it i have an elderbrock intake breather on itrapterflowtech muffler acdelco spit fire spark plugs and 8 mm accel spark plug wires those mods did make a big diifernce in the performance but i whant more lol oh and a performance distributer cap ... i think that is it and i do have a 1991 pontiac bonneville to they are alot like the each outher
well that be it for know

Quick Reply: performace parts for a 1987 cadillac deville