Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Northstar 1996 Cadillac Deville - to replace or not to replace engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Default Northstar 1996 Cadillac Deville - to replace or not to replace engine?

I have a 96 deville concours that i bought about 2 years ago. since ive had it i have had a coolant disappearance. not bad but every couple of months i had the "check coolant level" light come on. no problems with cooling. i have, since ive had it had to replace the expansion tank, both hoses upper and lower, water pump, heater core, thermostat. since this summer ive been having high temp problems and took it to my mechanic to see why i was having these problems and he says either i have a head gasket problem or a cracked head. and that it will be to expensive to fix. 2,000 dollar range and that if he fixes it it could lead to compression problems. and that replacing the engine would be expensive also. the car now has 175,000 miles on it and no codes pop up other than a trans code. as far as i can remember the highest it has gotten up to is about 260f. i cant drive it to far from the house without it getting hot (250) and having to add water everytime i drive it. it looses pretty much all coolant when you drive it now. dont want to spend that much money on it if its just gonna foul up shortly down the road. please help !!!!

====================
Moerator edit
title

Old 12-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default Northstar 1996 Cadillac Deville - to replace or not to replace engine?

ORIGINAL: tncadillac96

I have a 96 deville concours that i bought about 2 years ago. since ive had it i have had a coolant disappearance. not bad but every couple of months i had the "check coolant level" light come on. no problems with cooling. i have, since ive had it had to replace the expansion tank, both hoses upper and lower, water pump, heater core, thermostat. since this summer ive been having high temp problems and took it to my mechanic to see why i was having these problems and he says either i have a head gasket problem or a cracked head. and that it will be to expensive to fix. 2,000 dollar range and that if he fixes it it could lead to compression problems. and that replacing the engine would be expensive also. the car now has 175,000 miles on it and no codes pop up other than a trans code. as far as i can remember the highest it has gotten up to is about 260f. i cant drive it to far from the house without it getting hot (250) and having to add water everytime i drive it. it looses pretty much all coolant when you drive it now. dont want to spend that much money on it if its just gonna foul up shortly down the road. please help !!!!
opinions of others will differ, but my personal opinion is get an engine from a parts car under
100,000 miles, preferably one that has a maint record and got totaled in a rear or side hit or
the car simply rusted out.

make sure engine is tested for head gasket/heads issues, compression and overall condition
before you drop it into the car. in other words, do your homework.

I just happen to have more confidence on an original OEM engine than on a "repaired" engine.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Default RE: Northstar 1996 Cadillac Deville - to replace or not to replace engine?

thanks stealth, any help is good