Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

New Member/2000 Deville; wheel bearings, rotors, brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Default New Member/2000 Deville; wheel bearings, rotors, brake pads

Hi everyone, this looks like a very resourceful forum, glad to be here.

My first question is that I have a 2000 Deville sedan and need both front wheel bearings/hubs replaced.

Any ballpark ideas on how much parts/labor run for this?

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks!

-
mod edit
title

Old 01-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: New Member/2000 Deville question

Labor will vary depending on your area it should be roughly 2.0 to 2.4 hrs + parts. Shopping the web, you should get an idea of part pricing

Old 01-10-2009, 03:58 PM

Try www.repairpal.com. It gives reasonably accurate ranges and list some local shops.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 AM

Thank you! Last question, I change the brakes/rotors on this car myself and am moderately skilled.

Is changing the front bearings/hubs a diy project or is it best left to a pro?

Old 01-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Default New Member/2000 Deville; wheel bearings, rotors, brake pads

ORIGINAL: jdkosior

Thank you! Last question, I change the brakes/rotors on this car myself and am moderately skilled.

Is changing the front bearings/hubs a diy project or is it best left to a pro?
i am not sure what you ask.

changing brakes pads & rotors is simple .. if you know how to use tools and are a car kind of guy .. in some car models, special tooling is needed.

get a FSM manual, learn the steps, get the right tooling (not expensive), do not try with the wrong tools .. then bleed & FLUSH the brake system.
I personally do NOT trust any brake fluid that has been in a car over 5 years and I flush at every brake change.
a flush / bleed is simple, fast, and cheap. out goes the crud & moisture laden fluid, in goes the clean new fluid, long live the seals!

always remember, that often, the only thing between you and the grave, are the brakes & the tires!

BEARINGS .. unless you have taken a class on how to pack, install, set and adjust wheel bearings, I recommend that you leave it to a PRO or at least get someone to teach you face to face ! If you screw this up, it probably wont kill you - the grinding noises will likely warn you of the failure - but I assure that fixing it WILL be highly inconvenient and expensive.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Default RE: New Member/2000 Deville; wheel bearings, rotors, brake pads

YES!! Stealth is correct. I highly recommend bearing replacement done by a pro. Depending on the procedure for gm wheel bearing installation, (ive done nissan, audi, and vw bearings) it could involve a press and if you screw that step up then u could destroy the bearing or like stealth said hear a loud noise. also setting preload and packing are extremely important steps that if done incorrectly will cost u a new bearing. I recommend u leave it to a pro that has the correct tools and experience for the job.