Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Need Help With My 96 Deville Concours!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Arrow Need Help With My 96 Deville Concours!!

1996 Cadillac Deville Concours
116,000 Miles

It's been really hard to start (takes about 15-20 Seconds of trying) but it's worse when the engine is warm.. In the morning it will start right up and go..

I've Been doing research online and seeing it might be the "camshaft sensor" but i called a mechanic and he swears it has to be the "Ignition Control Module" Any ideas??

I Pulled These Codes.. P1375 & P1350

Old 08-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Default starting

Ignition control module, lazy fuel pump, poor coil, take your pick.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:07 AM
Tech Certified Members

From researching a bit this can be one of 3 things. ICM, or the two crankshaft sensors.

Heres what the codes mean
P1350 - Ignition
SystemControl

This is the one that says one or the other CPS is bad

P1375 - IC 24X Reference Circuit High Voltage
-The fault could be failure of either Crankshaft Position A or B Sensor input signal to the Ignition Control Module. Under such a condition, the Ignition Control Module would force the 24X signal high. This code will also show up if the 24X signal is shorted to voltage externally. If either condition is met DTC P1375 is set.

This should be all the info as to what you need to have checked out.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:11 PM

battery is good etc..
the Car Displays Ignition Issue..
When the car starts the rpms are usually at 0 but today it displayed and it was idling from 575 to 950 & back.. had the ICM.. (ignition Control module) tested and it's fine...
do you know where the crankshaft sensor is? pictures would help as well.. & How do i go about getting them both off.. thank you

Last edited by Extortion00; 08-13-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:19 AM
Tech Certified Members

Well on the 4.6 Northstar Engine the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) A is the lower, B is the upper. Both are next to each other, vertically, just to the right of the oil filter adapter. Up on the front side of the engine. The knock sensor is up in the engine intake valley

To do the job properly with few tools and little experience, the car should be up on a lift. Remove the lower splash shield and look up and in with a good drop light. If you're clever and have the tools, you can change the 2 CKP's without removing the oil filter, hoses, and adapter, but that process gives you more room. Each CKP (they're different) has a unique electrical connector so the wires can't be mixed up, but the sensor must be placed in the proper opening. if there's a low speed driveability issues you may have to go to the dealer in order to have the CKP Relearn procedure done.

(1) CKP Sensor B
(2) CKP Sensor A
(3) Engine Oil Pressure Switch
(4) Engine Oil Level Switch

Old 08-14-2011, 09:11 AM

is it common to have the Relearn Procedure done after installing them?

Old 08-15-2011, 02:10 AM
Tech Certified Members

Usually if the code doesn't go away then thats when you have to have it done. Most shops have the Scan tool to do it. Its a hit and miss kind of thing when it comes to the relearn process on some sensors.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Geez that bouncing idle suggests bad coil or two to me. If this car has never had coils or wires then that's what I'd be looking at. I hate to sound so simple but I'd check the fuel and air filters too. Check plugs as well.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:08 PM

UPDATE: i replaced both sensors started right up.. drove it around and turned it off and on and off and on.. then i let it sit for about 30 min went to start and samething!!! not wanting to start and backfiring but runs perfect once i get it running..but this time it does not throw any Ignition Codes Anymore... hard starting is the same just without the p1375 and p1350.. any ideas? also noticed after driving for a little bit it threw a Emissions code P0146.. could this be why its having such a hard time getting started?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Tech Certified Members

ok well if your not getting the previous codes than you may have another issue as well. The code you have now P0146 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 3. Which means its the sensor after the catalytic convertor is not connected or is malfunctioning. Did you have the relearn process done on the new sensors? I assume they should be fine if your not getting the codes but just to be safe it might help. Also have you checked the coils and plugs to make sure they are good. you may have a fouled out plug or other issue that may be causing a miss.

Quick Reply: Need Help With My 96 Deville Concours!!