Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Misfire is still here

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Default Misfire is still here

I have a 1995 DeVille Concours. Two weeks ago I got gas at a Sam Club, drove across the street to the store, upon returning and starting the car is was stumbling. Hm? Ran perfect before filling up.

Thought bad gas and ran for the past two weeks with gas cleaner and some dryer. Didn't get better.

So I thought it was coils, wires and plugs. Same thing that stopped the misfire two years ago. The car was running fine around town, speeds under 40 MPH. Yesterday I had a chance to run on the freeway and found that when I hit 50 MPH it would miss, sometimes but always going up a hill. Had to get my wife to the airport so I drove on (about a 60 mile round trip). I actually heard a backfire or two. Still I was getting an average of 25 MPG.

Coming home I hit traffic. After the 5th mile the car started to die. It went from 65 MPH to 45. I had to feed more gas to keep it up to speed.

TOday I took the wires and coil towers back and asked for replacements. The wires are original equipment and the coils are made by Wells. Wells makes them for AC Delco. While at the parts store the guy suggests I check the ignition control module. He hooks it up and it shows that it is failing the test. So another $260 for the new control board. Install it and still the same. It surges and you can feel a constant misfire,

I talked with a mechanic I know and he suggested a crank position sensor. I've always suspected a CPS for no-start problems not misfires. Could it me a CPS?

New fuel filter this week.

History of car...

In 2001 previous owner spent $1,000 for plugs, wires and coils.
In 2005 I acquire the car and drive cross country. One thousand miles into the trip I start getting a misfilre. It didn't stop until I got to the east coast and had a chance to replace the plugs, wire and coils (my labor). Misfire ended.
Then two weeks ago it started back again but now the plug,wires and coils won't fix it.

No check engine light
No PCM/ICP/ACP/SIR/TCS codes

Old 10-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Misfire is still here

ORIGINAL: jsjag

I have a 1995 DeVille Concours. Two weeks ago I got gas at a Sam Club, drove across the street to the store, upon returning and starting the car is was stumbling. Hm? Ran perfect before filling up.

Thought bad gas and ran for the past two weeks with gas cleaner and some dryer. Didn't get better.

So I thought it was coils, wires and plugs. Same thing that stopped the misfire two years ago. The car was running fine around town, speeds under 40 MPH. Yesterday I had a chance to run on the freeway and found that when I hit 50 MPH it would miss, sometimes but always going up a hill. Had to get my wife to the airport so I drove on (about a 60 mile round trip). I actually heard a backfire or two. Still I was getting an average of 25 MPG.

Coming home I hit traffic. After the 5th mile the car started to die. It went from 65 MPH to 45. I had to feed more gas to keep it up to speed.

TOday I took the wires and coil towers back and asked for replacements. The wires are original equipment and the coils are made by Wells. Wells makes them for AC Delco. While at the parts store the guy suggests I check the ignition control module. He hooks it up and it shows that it is failing the test. So another $260 for the new control board. Install it and still the same. It surges and you can feel a constant misfire,

I talked with a mechanic I know and he suggested a crank position sensor. I've always suspected a CPS for no-start problems not misfires. Could it me a CPS?

New fuel filter this week.

History of car...

In 2001 previous owner spent $1,000 for plugs, wires and coils.
In 2005 I acquire the car and drive cross country. One thousand miles into the trip I start getting a misfilre. It didn't stop until I got to the east coast and had a chance to replace the plugs, wire and coils (my labor). Misfire ended.
Then two weeks ago it started back again but now the plug,wires and coils won't fix it.

No check engine light
No PCM/ICP/ACP/SIR/TCS codes
new fuel filter before or after this?

check that firing order is proper.
check timing.
check the fuel pressure at the rail

report back.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Default RE: Misfire is still here

New fuel filter before this happened. I've heard a metallic plunk, like a tank having cavitation. Wonder if the fuel filter has gone south? That would be a new one on me.

Firing order is proper. The alldata sheet I relied on when I did this the last time has the coils as this (looking at car)

Timing. Twenty years ago was the last time I owned a timing light. Not sure if I even remember how to use it.

I checked the fuel pressure when the problem first appeared, before changing the plugs, wires, etc. The idle pressure was something like 38. Chiltons says it could be 29 to ? I forget the high end.

The wires are from RockAuto.com and they are Delphi. RockAuto said Delphi makes wires for AC Delco. They did come with grease in the boots. Not sure if it was FHC.