Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

help, 92 DeVille hesitating and or stalling

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Default help, 92 DeVille hesitating and or stalling

it holds about 18 gallons of gas, right now i have about 15 gallons in it and when i step on the gas, it doesnt want to do much, i have to pump the gas to get it to speed up and if i stop faster than average, it will stall or if i floor it, it will stall

usually it only acts up if i have less than 10 gallons in it, guess its getting worse

i checked under the hood for anything not hooked up, looked at all hoses, wires, etc

any ideas, dont know whats wrong, and dont have money to burn

its 4.9 fuel injection

thanks

Old 09-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Default RE: help, 92 DeVille hesitating and or stalling

Get a basic tune up and start thier change you fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, wires, fuel system cleaner, if that don't work get a new fuel pump. that should make the car run like new!!!!!

Old 10-05-2006, 02:37 AM

In reply... Check to see if Pressure Regulator (located on the rail) is leaking before approaching the fuel pump for replacement. Dropping the tank is time and teddius. (Don't think there's an access panel in the trunk to remove Fuel Pump.)

Old 10-09-2006, 05:34 PM

I would use a TECH 2 to check, and reprogram PCM

Old 11-28-2006, 05:27 AM
Tech Certified Members

I also have a simular problem and so did my friend his was a 91. if iyour car does this after you drive around and gets warmed up then it is probably the fuel pump. the 92 caddys devilles were notorious for this problem. also they had problems with the baffling inside the fuel tank cracking and floating around. after awhile if you dont change the fuel pump, it will start to die, spit and sputter, or it will only go so fast and pretty soon wont START. Right now mine does it if i get down to 8 gallons and try to floor it and it will spit and sputter. and buy the time i get down to 3-5gallons i can olnly go about 30-45 mph. and if i push gas ped. down half way or more it will sputter and almost die. i may be wrong but i am 90% sure on this the other ten would say its fuel filter, also in the trunk on the passengerside right near the backseat if you pull up the carpet i think there is a way to acces the fp w/o droping the tank.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Tech Certified Members

Hey nauc: Some things for you to check out. First check to see if the vac hose for the MAP sensor is connected and in good condition. (no cracks, leaks) Then check out the EGR valve connections, and the EGR valve might even be stuck open. This part is not tht much money so maybe replace. Then see if you have a throttle position switch, may be adjustable or have loose connections. All I can think of for now, good luck........

Old 11-29-2006, 05:10 PM

Dose it have a digital dash?
If its dose you can get the diagnostic codes easly from it.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:32 PM

Sounds like the classic symptoms of an ailing fuel pump to me.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:24 AM
Tech Certified Members

Hey nauc: Please post a response when you find out what exactly the problem was, is nice to know what the fix was for future reference. Thanks and enjoy your ride.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:55 AM

I rember right my o2 senor seem ok but my cross count was low hence my O2 was shoot and then i still had to replace the injectors and it will run ok till it gose throug a small learing curb for the ECU.

Quick Reply: help, 92 DeVille hesitating and or stalling