Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Got the DHS Blues

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 12:35 PM
Default Got the DHS Blues

Hey everyone...My first posting is a simple question that will hopefully get me on the right track here with my 02 DHS.
I inherited it from my late grandfather,. It had low miles, garage kept,only one half inch scratch on the rear bumper... a beautiful car. Sooo after driving it a few times I soon realized it had a bad head gasket (bummer).. Well having worked on cars my whole life I decided to take on this task & soon realized that Cadillac are not much like other cars. Simply amazing is the Northstar motor,but as I found, the FWD versions are NOT the easiest jobs to take on.Any ways while I had the motor out of the car I used the Time serts according to the manufactures directions but while torquing down my head bolts a few of them slipped loose(bummer) SOO at this point Iam ready to be done with this repair & becoming a little frustrated.. So in orer to repair stripped out time certs you must install "Big Serts" witch involves drilling bigger holes etc. & Iam already thinking that time serts are crap at this point. So what I did is up sized all my head bolts from M11x125 to M12x125 &used permanent red thread locker(stupid me) & hoped for the best..So this is where my real problem comes in.While putting every thing back together one of the timing chains was caught around the crank,so i attempted to remove the balancer pulley so I could remove the front cover & align the chain to its proper track & while doing so I accidentally spun the crank(with timing chains not hooked up)= (big bummer) Stupid me never marked the cam shafts or the crank & with the heads on permanently, I think I might be screwed. A crank, 4 cams, 32 valves, rods & pistons,.... that is a lot of synchronicity !!Iam thinking it might not be possible to time this motor with the heads on permanent... Should i just get another motor for this thing or what ?? I can get one at pic n pull for a few hundred bucks. Any expert advice would be appreciated.... thanx for reading.