Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Drivers heated seat problems??????

Old 03-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Default Drivers heated seat problems??????

I have a 99 Deville with about 40,000 mile on it and all of a sudden the drivers heated seat isn't working and the passenger seat heat won't turn off. After I change the fuse they both work fine for a while and then all of a sudden the fuse blows again. The stealership tells me that they are going to have to replace the entire seat and we all know how much that would cost. I have searched on here already but cant seem to find anyone with the same problem. Any help would be great.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Default RE: Drivers heated seat problems??????

Have you measured the resistance (with a multimeter)of both seat heaters? I would also check if there is a short to ground. This could make the passenger seat the problem causing the fuse to blow by making the heater coil shorter and heating more rapidly until it reaches its current treshold and blows the fuse.
If the drivers side resistance is higher than the passenger side then it may possibly be the heater coil on the drivers side, Then It would probably need to be replaced.
If they both are relativley the same and no shorts to ground (make sure you check it while sitting on the seats, I had a SAAB once that wouldn't heat until a switch was activated by body weight). If there is a pressure switch this could be the culprit.
I would say if any of the heater coils are the problem then the seats would have to be replaced, or just disconnected.
If not I would check the contol relay circuit. and make sure you use the correct size fuse.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:02 PM

Hey thanks alot!!!! I will try everything you said. I hope its just the ground, that would be alot cheaper.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:51 AM

I went through a series of busted seat heaters in my 00 DHS during its first few years. Fixed under warranty by replacing the skins each time. It's an invasive repair done by an upholstery shop, which typically would do additional cosmetic damage requiring further visits. Now, out of warranty, the passenger front seat is dead and it's $500 to fix. I won't bother: past repairs lasted maybe one mild winter in California. Some lasted an hour or two after being replaced. It was a bad design apparently that couldn't take the pressure of being sat upon.