Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

door panel removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Default door panel removal

hi everyone ,.... my father has a 2000 caddy deville and we need to remove the rear door panel becuase the window fell of its track and wont roll up anyone know how to remove the door panel... ive been tryin and its not comin out

Old 08-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: door panel removal

The first one is always tricky, putting it back on also.

Behind the door handle is a trim bezel that is just velco.
Remove and remove phillips screw behind it.
Door lock button has a trap door that lifts out then the button pulls off.
Behind that is a torx srew that holds the lock trim to the door, remove.
Next are the push type clips that hold the edges of the panel to the door.
These must be pryed away from the door all the way around the panel.

Now for the fun part

After pulling the bottom of the panel away from the door stand up and firmly grab the door armrest/handle.
In a jerking motion, pull up and out on the door panel. there will be a large electrical connection to release behind the panel.

Install is the reverse of removal, but still tricky.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-11-2006, 05:47 PM

is that the same procedure for a 93 deville?

Old 09-03-2006, 01:28 AM

The same thing happened with my 2001 deville today. The window is down and won't go up. The track is moving but is no longer attached to the window.

I followed the instructions of FLCaddytech and got the door panel off. Thank you FLCaddytech! Note that I didn't have to do the first 2 steps about the trim and phillips screw. I don't think one has to remove the torx screw behind the door lock button either. One does have to put some muscle into it and pull the panel up and out however.

Now that I have the door panal off I can't get at the window mechanism[:'(]. There is the big black plastic panel in the way that covers the whole interior of the door. The panel has about 10 white plastic fasteners that are on really tight and I think they were indended to attach the panel for the life of the car. Note that there are also 2 rectangular white pastic things on the plastic panel with torx screws. I have no idea what is on the other end of the screws. I removed the felt thing at the top of the door that goes against the window to get a better look at the window mechansim. I can see the pully and the cord that is supposed to pull my window up. When I reattach the electrical module to the door panel and hit the up and down window switch I see the cord and pully moving but the window doesn't move. The next plan of attack is to remove the speaker in the door to see if I can get a better look at the window mechanism.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Old 09-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

the white retainers have a center "button" that needs to be pushed in, then the retainer can be pried out.
Also the 2 torx screws need to be removed from the white clips in the center.
IIRC you need to unplug the drivers door module also to completely remove the inner black panel.

Once you access the regulator there are 2 10mm nuts that attach the glass. loosen them and push the window all the way up and secure it.
Next you unplug the window motor.
Last there are 4 10mm nuts/bolts that hold the regulator to the inner door skin.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:04 PM

OK, didn't see the button in the center of the white fasteners last night. I pushed all the buttons and removed all the fasteners and 2 torx screws and now can pull the black plastic cover away from the door. Thank you again FLCaddytech! It is not clear how to remove the drivers door module so I just let the black cover hang down. I can now get to the window rail and actuator mechanism. So, it seems there is a cord and a cylindrical piece of metal on the cord that is supposed to be connected to the metal bracket that the window sits on. Somehow the cylindrical piece of metal on the cord got above the metal bracket that the window sits on[:'(]. So, if I manually put the window all the way up it will push the window down but it can't push the window back up as the metal cylinder is on the wrong side of the bracket or not connected to the bracket as it should be. The holes in the door don't seem big enough to remove the rails and actuator mechanism so I can't get a close look at it. I removed the 3 10mm nuts and I can move the mechanism within the door but can't see a way to get it out[:'(]. Any thoughts/ideas would be most welcome.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Did you seperate the window from the regulator? Loosen the 2 nuts at the base of the glass.

Then there are 4 nuts/bolts that hold the regulator to the inner door sheet metal.
IIRC 3 nuts and 1 bolt.
Once the assembly is free from the window and door it can be manuvered to exit out the largest hole in the bottom of the door.
Make sure the window is secured at the top of the door or just remove it.
I perfer to leave it in the door but either way will get the job done.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:08 AM

OK, I got the window mechanism out of the door. It seems there was a plastic enclosure over the meal cylinder to connect it to the metal bracket that is connected to the window. This broke and I found a piece of plastic inside the door. I guess I need to hunt down a new actuator from a junk yard as I can't think of a way to connect the metal cylinder to what is left of the plastic bracket connected to the window. Thank you for your help FLCaddytech!

Old 10-01-2006, 02:34 PM

I fixed my window regulator last Saturday. I bought a used regulator from http://www.powerupauto.com/GMParts2.html which apparently buys them from a company turning DeVilles into armored cars. It cost $135 (dealer quoted $330 or something). Note that it was for a 2005 model so I had to remove 3 torx screws and replace the motor mechanism from my old regulator with the 2005 version as the 2005 version has a differnent electrical attachment. Putting the door panel back on is a bit of a chore but with some muscle I got it back just like new. Thank you all for your help!
---
Erik

Old 10-13-2006, 02:38 PM

I HAVE A '01 SEVILLE STS AND I'M TRYING TO REMOVE THE REAR DOOR PANEL. FIRST STEP WAS OK
BUT I'M UNABLE TO FIND A WAY TO REMOVE THE DOOR LOCK BUTTON TO ACCESS THE TORX
SCREW THAT HOLDS THE LOCK TRIM TO THE DOOR.

THANX IN ADVANCE!

Quick Reply: door panel removal