Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

could it be ghosts, or just smashed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Default could it be ghosts, or just smashed?

so ive had a few problems with the electrical on my 94 concours ever since i got it from the auction about two years ago. the only thing back then was that every so often there would be these weird little clicking noises from underneath the passengers seat. so i pulled the fuse for the heated seat and that fixed it, mostly.

the other problem came after i had let it sit for almost a year. it was in an accident in january 07 where a box truck clipped my rear-end and completely tore off the filler in the back, but left the lights and everything above the bumper intact. so after i replaced the plastic molding i put in new bulbs and called it good.

so now when i get behind my car at night-time everything looks wacky to say the least. the first weird thing is that i have no troubles at all when its daytime and i have my headlamps off. everything blinks fine, lights up when it supossed to, and in overall good condition. things change as soon as i turn those lights on though...

so, on the right side the brake light and the running light are always lit, never seem to shut off so the top two lights are always red. that side the blinker works fine though, blinks at the right pace and actually blinks. but when it comes to the other side its just about the opposite. running light works, and so does the brake light when i hit it. its all on the blinker though, which does light up...

its been giving me sh!# ever since i started it back up. at first it would blink ok. then it would blink whenever it felt like it, and at its own pace. somethimes it would blink too fast, then slow down to about one blink/minute, all while in the same turn... now it blinks at least enough to not get me pulled over anymore.

i replaced the actual bulbs, but someone told me that it could be the harnesses. how would i know if that was the problem, other than a broke a$$ pieca plastic sittin there? also, could it just be the damage making all the lights back there go haywire, or could it possibly a ghost somewhere in my system?

thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate everything you do here

Old 05-16-2008, 01:34 AM
Default RE: could it be ghosts, or just smashed?

It sounds like a faulty 'ground' to me. All electricals need power and ground to work properly. In a light with a duel filament bulb, ifone or both of thecircuits loses ground it will 'pull' a ground through the 'hot' wire of the other circuit causing the light that is turned off to light also. Is there a body ground in the trunk area somewhere that could have been damaged? To give you an idea of what I mean, consider this; The brake light ground wire on my Ford F250 pick-up
was grounded to the body at the rear of the bed and broke off one day. The brake lights and radio were on the same fuse and if I stepped on the brake pedal with the key turned off, the radio would come on. Release the brake and the radio shut off. I am bald now from pulling my hair out trying to figure out That problem. I thought I was in the 'Twilight Zone'.