Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Changing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Default Changing coolant

Has anyone changed the coolant in a 2000 Deville DTS? I took it to my mechanic and he couldn't do it. He's a good guy and I have been using him for years for all my other cars but he said he couldn't see how to change it.

Old 06-10-2006, 04:51 AM
Default RE: Changing coolant

Did you ever figure this out? I've had my 00 DHS changed at the dealer once or twice. There's gotta be a way. You may need to take it to Cadillac.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

I take off the lower radiator hose. The petcock(radiator drain) is a PITA to get to.
Make sure to recheck your coolant level after driving, air pockets are easily created in the system.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:30 AM

I have changed my coolant on my 2000 DTS recently and it does NOT need to be done by cadillac. As a matter of fact, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you have taken the time to do the job right by doing it yourself. The first thing that you would want to do is remove the plastic shroud from under the front of the vehicle. It was held on by plastic pull tabs that are very easy to release (don't forget the ones in the wheel well!) The radiator petcock is located on the drivers side front on the lower right hand side of the radiator, as if you lookin at the front of the car. (just look in the area behind your driver side foglights). It is a plastic piece so don't get gorilla on it. You might want to use a large drain pan/bucket and be ready for the spurt as soon as it comes out. I used a thin funnel to guide the flow out. As soon as the flow dies down, you then want to take off the lower radiator hose like FLCaddytech explained. There will be a considerable amount left in the system when you do this, so be prepared. Do not forget to use the GM supplement tablets or 2 tubes of Bars Leak (that is what I used and you can find it at Wal-Mart) and put it in the lower radiator hose. DO NOT PUT IT IN THE RESEVOIR TANK! Only in the hose. Make sure that you only use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and DISTILLED water. Button her back up and check your coolant level for the next couple of days and voila, pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Domino1968

I have changed my coolant on my 2000 DTS recently and it does NOT need to be done by cadillac. As a matter of fact, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you have taken the time to do the job right by doing it yourself. The first thing that you would want to do is remove the plastic shroud from under the front of the vehicle. It was held on by plastic pull tabs that are very easy to release (don't forget the ones in the wheel well!) The radiator petcock is located on the drivers side front on the lower right hand side of the radiator, as if you lookin at the front of the car. (just look in the area behind your driver side foglights). It is a plastic piece so don't get gorilla on it. You might want to use a large drain pan/bucket and be ready for the spurt as soon as it comes out. I used a thin funnel to guide the flow out. As soon as the flow dies down, you then want to take off the lower radiator hose like FLCaddytech explained. There will be a considerable amount left in the system when you do this, so be prepared. Do not forget to use the GM supplement tablets or 2 tubes of Bars Leak (that is what I used and you can find it at Wal-Mart) and put it in the lower radiator hose. DO NOT PUT IT IN THE RESEVOIR TANK! Only in the hose. Make sure that you only use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and DISTILLED water. Button her back up and check your coolant level for the next couple of days and voila, pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:55 AM

That's how I have been doing it, but I have never measured how much coolant was actually drained and compared it with the full capacity of the system. In other words, how much old coolant remains in the block?

Also, wouldn't a closed thermostat prevent some fluid from getting drained?

How about this [theory]?
Drain radiator via petcock and measure quantity. Calculate what's remained in the system and prepare that much mixture. Remove upper tadiator hose at the radiator and place end in large bucket. Start engine and simultaneously begin pouring new coolant into reservoir. When done, shut down car, reattach radiator hose, start car again and keep filling the reservoir (and revving the motor from time to time) until you're really done.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-15-2007, 02:35 PM

I'm just wondering what brand are you replacing your coolant with?
Seems theres a lawsuite against GM regarding Dexcool. Just google "Dexcool gm lawsuite".

I'm new to this forum and just bought a Deville with 25,000 miles on it. After reading info here, I will be getting my fluid changed tomorrow. I guess to maintain my warranty, I will have to continue with dexcool.

-jasper

Old 04-16-2007, 07:37 PM

Lawsuits are most often based on greed than merit...

I'd replace the coolant with whatever was in there before, thus no thorough flush is needed. The most important thing is that you have periodically (2-yr) refresh your coolant, add the supplement and keep the whole system (rad, cap, heater core, hoses, tstat, pump, belts, etc.) in tip-top shape.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

poring into a runnign engine can be done, with care.
one has to be very carefull. pouring cold liquids into a hot engine block can
crack the block. one better understand how things flow in the system to do this.

my preferennce to avoid cracking:
i simply drain, what comes out is it - my guess is that maybe 1/2 of the coolant
drains out. enough new coolant will go in the refill to protect the metal.
i then refill it, add the Bar's supplements and close it up.

then i fill the reservoir and check it later after running a few miles. any air should auto-bleed
when things get hot, out throught the reservoir. when engine cools, the system will suck
coolant into the system from reservoir.
replenish the reservoir as needed.

ORIGINAL: belagatyo

That's how I have been doing it, but I have never measured how much coolant was actually drained and compared it with the full capacity of the system. In other words, how much old coolant remains in the block?

Also, wouldn't a closed thermostat prevent some fluid from getting drained?

How about this [theory]?
Drain radiator via petcock and measure quantity. Calculate what's remained in the system and prepare that much mixture. Remove upper tadiator hose at the radiator and place end in large bucket. Start engine and simultaneously begin pouring new coolant into reservoir. When done, shut down car, reattach radiator hose, start car again and keep filling the reservoir (and revving the motor from time to time) until you're really done.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-17-2007, 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Stealth
my preferennce to avoid cracking:
i simply drain, what comes out is it - my guess is that maybe 1/2 of the coolant
drains out. enough new coolant will go in the refill to protect the metal.
i then refill it, add the Bar's supplements and close it up.
I didn't mean doing it on a hot engine.

I assume you drain it thru the lower rad hose, put the supplement in the rad hose, reattach it, then refill thru the surge reservoir, right?
Or, in the order you wrote, drain (at the lower hose? or thru petcock?), refill thru the upper hose & add supplement, then fill reservoir and top off?

Quick Reply: Changing coolant