Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Car may not start-theft system

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Default Car may not start-theft system

I received this message several times and ignored it. Well the car would not start. Gave me a message "remove key and wait 3 minutes". After the 3 minutes I was told to reinsert the key and presto the car started. Anyone else have this problem and what should I do about it? Have a 99 Deville, runs super.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Default RE: Car may not start-theft system

My 99 deville used to show those messages from time to time until one day it left me stranded outside a restaurant one afternoon.I had it towed toa caddy dealership to get fixed. They told me the ignition cylinder was the problem so it was replaced. I'm pretty sure your car's problem is the ignition cylinder.Plan to spend about 400 dollars to get it done. There is another way to fix the problem but the only thing is that it bypasses the Pass Key system. That's the pellet on your ignition key and it keeps thieves from using a different key to start your car. If you don't mind losing this feature this is what you do: on the driver's side under the steering wheel there is a black plastic cover where the brake and gas pedals are, remove it. Then look for a large harness connection which has alot of wires on it.On this connection there is an orange wire(actually it is an orange cover with two small wires inside). This wire goes to the ignition cylinder. Peel back the orange cover to reveal two white wires. Cut the wires and prep them to be spliced together.The pellet in the ignition key is a resistance, so with an ohmmeter measure the key to see what value resistor it has. My car's key was 3kohms but yours might be different. Whatever measurement you get,buy a resistor of that value. Solder one end of the resistor to one white wire and the other end to the other white wire. This will fix the warning messages you have been getting and go back to normal. (If you're not a do it yourselfer,just get the cylinder replaced). Hope this helps you out.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:30 PM

Thanks for your input, will try.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:41 PM

Auto915: Just wanted to say thanks again. Your solution is working super.
Joe

Old 03-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

I'd also add that sometimes just changing to your sparekey works too. After 8 years use on the main key the pellets can wear down and notsend the correct resistance data to the computer.