Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

a/c, heater blower stays on when car is off

Old 07-08-2006, 06:58 AM
Default a/c, heater blower stays on when car is off

Just like the subject line states, my 86 deville blower stays on even when the car is off. It stays on until the battery dies. This started just a couple of days ago with no apparent cause. I have never seen anything quite like it to be honest. Has anyone else ever had this problem or know the cause?

Thanks in advance,
Derrick

Old 07-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: a/c, heater blower stays on when car is off

The blower module needs to be replaced.
Its in the evaporater case along the fire wall.
Just to the passenger side of center.
Unplug it and the blower should stop running.

Old 07-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Default RE: a/c, heater blower stays on when car is off

Thanks for the quick response!!

Old 10-31-2009, 01:20 AM
Question I just started having the same problem with my '91 Coupe DeVille

I had the exact same problem this evening with my '91 Coupe DeVille. I turned off the climate control system and the car but the heater/ AC blower kept running until the battery went dead. I had to pull the 30 amp Maxi Fuse under the hood to get it to stop running and killing the battery. Would this also be caused by the blower motor module? If so where is it located? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:52 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by pelinaca1
I had the exact same problem this evening with my '91 Coupe DeVille. I turned off the climate control system and the car but the heater/ AC blower kept running until the battery went dead. I had to pull the 30 amp Maxi Fuse under the hood to get it to stop running and killing the battery. Would this also be caused by the blower motor module? If so where is it located? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
in the firewall, engine side, center next to blower motor.

street price, used? $25

Last edited by stomper; 10-31-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:15 AM
Question

Originally Posted by stomper
in the firewall, engine side, center next to blower motor.

street price, used? $25

Thank you very much for the information and the image. During the summer when it was quite hot out it never seemed like the air coming out was blowing as strong as it should have been (including when I put it on high fan rather than auto). I had others in the car that said it seemed like it wasn't blowing hard enough. Would this be caused by the same part or could the blower itself also be faulty? Appreciate the help and looking forward to additional info.
Scott

Old 11-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Default Now the headlights won't turn off

Well I have replaced the blower module and that problem is now fixed, yeah! Here's what I did: First I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery to be sure no surges occurred. Then I removed the two nuts that hold the relay center in place. I also removed the silver bolt that connects a wire to the top of the relay center between the two banks of fuses. I then removed the three Phillips head screws that hold the two banks of Maxi fuses to the relay center and slid the four relays off their tracks and moved them out of the way. I then took the relay center out and located the blower module on top of the heater housing. I removed the three screws that hold it in place and removed the two electrical connections. I then removed the old blower module and inserted the new blower module. I put the three screws back in and reconnected the two electrical connections. I then put the relay center back in place over the two bolts and put the two nuts back on that hold the relay center in place. Then I slid the four relays back onto their tracks. Next I put the two banks of Maxi fuses back and put the three screws back in that hold them in place. I then reconnected the wire that attaches to the top of the two banks of fuses via the silver bolt, made sure all tools were removed then reconnected the negative terminal. I had a feeling all was well as the blower didn't immediately come on as it had before. Feeling really good about things I decided to take her around the block to see how everything feels. When I got back home I turned off the car which is when I discovered the new problem. The headlights stayed on rather than shutting off automatically via the twilight sentinel. I then turned the twilight sentinel off and the headlights were still on. I tried pulling the headlight switch on then pushing it back off but the headlights remained on. My next step was to disconnect the battery to see if perhaps that would reset whatever was causing the problem. The moment I reconnected the battery the headlights came right back on. So now I have her sitting in the driveway with the battery disconnected as the headlights will not go out. Any ideas what would be causing this new problem? The only other thing I did today was replace the flasher as the turn signals were intermittently slow. That problem is also fixed. Now the headlights?????

Old 11-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Tech Certified Members

i suggest that you go back and check your work.

if all is ok but headlights still wont go off, put everything back the way it was and see if the headlights work ok .. report back.

Originally Posted by pelinaca1
Well I have replaced the blower module and that problem is now fixed, yeah! Here's what I did: First I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery to be sure no surges occurred. Then I removed the two nuts that hold the relay center in place. I also removed the silver bolt that connects a wire to the top of the relay centei r between the two banks of fuses. I then removed the three Phillips head screws that hold the two banks of Maxi fuses to the relay center and slid the four relays off their tracks and moved them out of the way. I then took the relay center out and located the blower module on top of the heater housing. I removed the three screws that hold it in place and removed the two electrical connections. I then removed the old blower module and inserted the new blower module. I put the three screws back in and reconnected the two electrical connections. I then put the relay center back in place over the two bolts and put the two nuts back on that hold the relay center in place. Then I slid the four relays back onto their tracks. Next I put the two banks of Maxi fuses back and put the three screws back in that hold them in place. I then reconnected the wire that attaches to the top of the two banks of fuses via the silver bolt, made sure all tools were removed then reconnected the negative terminal. I had a feeling all was well as the blower didn't immediately come on as it had before. Feeling really good about things I decided to take her around the block to see how everything feels. When I got back home I turned off the car which is when I discovered the new problem. The headlights stayed on rather than shutting off automatically via the twilight sentinel. I then turned the twilight sentinel off and the headlights were still on. I tried pulling the headlight switch on then pushing it back off but the headlights remained on. My next step was to disconnect the battery to see if perhaps that would reset whatever was causing the problem. The moment I reconnected the battery the headlights came right back on. So now I have her sitting in the driveway with the battery disconnected as the headlights will not go out. Any ideas what would be causing this new problem? The only other thing I did today was replace the flasher as the turn signals were intermittently slow. That problem is also fixed. Now the headlights?????

Old 02-13-2018, 08:21 PM
Default 97 cadillac sedan blower

Okay so I just bought this cadi and the blower was unpluged. So when I plugged it in the blower never turned off. I left it plugged in while I checked if the inside of the car was moving air. Nothing was happening still. Guys I need help I don't know how to get the heat going in this thing