Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

blinker problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Default blinker problem

I have a 93 Deville and blinkers just went out.fuse checks ok.dashboard blinkers don't come on at all except when emer flashers are on. other lights on same fuse ok.all light bulbs work when backing up.

Also, when turning steering wheel to extreme left or right, Ihear a clunking noise. This is the only time I hear this.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: blinker problem

i be looking at the signal flasher.

the hazard flasher may be located under the dash panel on the
left side of the steering column.

The turn signal flasher is located under the dash panel on
the right side of the steering column, depending on model
and where they felt like putting it that day.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:12 PM

Thks Stealth, BUT
I removed the whole under-dash panel. I found the flasher asm #9, but can't locate the turn flasher. I checked from the left to the rt, but can't find it. Would you happen to know the color wire? Do you think they may have stuck it in the sterring column? went to parts store for location assist-they wereNO HELP.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

i would suggest that it is missing .. but .. you state that it just went out.
i dont believe there is that much room inside the column, but anything is posible,
it is easy enough to remove the column covers and take a peek.

another unlikely posibility might be around the glove box?
if they got a assy guy from Lincoln doing assy, they tend to put them on that area

Old 06-05-2007, 01:57 PM

well I havetried all suggestions and the blinkers still don't work. I had the wires traced and was told that the blinker wires go up into the harness(could not find the signal flasher). mech said this is the 1st car that he couldn't find the signal flasher(lucky me). Told me I will probablyhave to take it to a dealer($$$$$$$)
any other ideas? other that just selling the car

Old 07-17-2007, 05:16 PM

i have a 96 deville and my blinkers and taili lights just went out dont light on the dash or nothing so if you find out id appreciate it if you told myself also

Old 07-17-2007, 06:52 PM

Well Brian, I did solve my problem. The flasher for my blinker was behind my dashboard(of all places) and the part was $4.98. I was lucky to find a mechanic who used to work at a Cadillac dealership. Of course I had to pay labor and the total job was $42. It took about 10 min to fix it.
Make sure you check all your fuses and bulbs.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Devillegirl

Thanks for posting how your problem was resolved. This will benefit other members in the future and save 'em a few bucks.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

we expected it to be under/behind the dashboard, but exactly where in its 4 1/2 ft width was it?

thanks

ORIGINAL: devillegirl

Well Brian, I did solve my problem. The flasher for my blinker was behind my dashboard(of all places) and the part was $4.98. I was lucky to find a mechanic who used to work at a Cadillac dealership. Of course I had to pay labor and the total job was $42. It took about 10 min to fix it.
Make sure you check all your fuses and bulbs.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:46 PM
Default Location of directional flasher

Just replaced my brothers directional flasher in his 1996 cadillac eldorado. There is a hazard flasher and a directional flasher. If you remove the plastic clipped piece directly under the steering wheel (no Screws)and then remove the steel piece under that (4 screws) you expose all wiring under steering column, on the right side you will immediately see the silver flasher for the emergency flashers, the directional flasher is a black 3 prong 1 1/2" inch cube (larger than a standard silver flasher and rectangular not round) toward the top left side of the steering column and is clipped in place, once you find it is very easy to remove and replace. (black and rectangular not round and silver). hope it helps you. His problem originally was he had emergency flashers but no directionals on dash or exterior of car.

Last edited by jeffjaguar4; 03-22-2015 at 06:53 PM.