Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Bad Gas Milegae

Old 11-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Default Bad Gas Milegae

when i first bought my 95 cadillac sedan deville i used to get 25 mpg's that was 3 yrs ago. its broken down on me a couple times to many for me. right now im getting about 8-14 mpg. i take real good care of it. i change the oil every 3 months i just did a tune up plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, pcv. ive put new starter a couple times cuz they would keep giving me bad mpg also. i always have my tires about 35 psi or 42. my tps was bad i just changed that a month ago but i'm still getting bad mileage.
any help anyone plz. and thankz for the help

Old 11-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Default RE: Bad Gas Milegae

i have the same prob like you..... bad mileage...... i hope someone can help.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: santanerox3

when i first bought my 95 cadillac sedan deville i used to get 25 mpg's that was 3 yrs ago. its broken down on me a couple times to many for me. right now im getting about 8-14 mpg. i take real good care of it. i change the oil every 3 months i just did a tune up plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, pcv. ive put new starter a couple times cuz they would keep giving me bad mpg also. i always have my tires about 35 psi or 42. my tps was bad i just changed that a month ago but i'm still getting bad mileage.
How could the starter give you bad mileage? Starts the car, that's it . . . right?

Old 11-30-2008, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Tarrance

ORIGINAL: santanerox3

How could the starter give you bad mileage? Starts the car, that's it . . . right?
well the wires were loose on the starter and i didnt know everytime i would start it it would take a while to start. the wires caused that bold on the back of the starter where the wires connect to loosen up. the starter finally went out. this was while i was on a road trip before the starter went bad i was getting 12 mpg after i replaced it it started giving me like 16 mpg.
thats what i thought to the same as u

Old 12-01-2008, 12:50 AM

Wow thats interesting. I wonder if its really related or just coincidence. Something to think about though. Thanks

Old 12-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Tech Certified Members

imo... a starter would have NOTHING to do with poor gas mileage...... its just a cawinkeedink! something else has changed in your car, or your driving habits.... diff gas,octain, weather being colder, etc.,etc
rickyd

Old 12-03-2008, 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: rickyd

imo... a starter would have NOTHING to do with poor gas mileage...... its just a cawinkeedink! something else has changed in your car, or your driving habits.... diff gas,octain, weather being colder, etc.,etc
rickyd
who knows i've always put 89 in gas. i never step on the accelerator i bought my cady just to cruise not to race. idk if its the weather because its been giving me bad gas mileage for over a year already

Old 12-04-2008, 12:31 AM

What year is your Caddy?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Certified Members

Engine designed for 91+ octane not 89. Timing likely retarded to deal with incorrect fuel and/or spark knock. EGR ports being restricted by carbon is common, throttle body has to come off to clear the ports. Retarded timing will reduce mpg.s

Old 12-05-2008, 07:52 PM

you say you never step on the accelerator, maybe that's why. The Northstar is a high performance engine, it has been designed and tested to handle high rpm and hard acceleration. If you never get the engine over 2000 rpm, it can carbon up and that would certainly cause you to have poor gas mileage, because it's choked up. Opening the engine up isn't racing, nor is it hard on it. It truly likes it.

running regular gas on an engine designed to run on premium can cause more problems than just lower gas mileage. People get away with it, but it's a very bad idea.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad Gas Milegae