Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Another question for FLCaddytech

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Default Another question for FLCaddytech

The gurgling has stopped!! But I wanted to ask you another question. When the intermeditate shaft was replaced I had excessive engine compartment noise entering the interior. It was caused by the the rubber tube that comes from the firewall to the the rack. I took it back and the tech said it was not on all the way. The car after that was as quiet as could be. I was impressed. I now hear that same noise only not as loud after the new rack was installed. When I took it back for the gurgle they said it was on correctly. In your experience, would it be loose at the rack or at the firewall. If it is something I can do, Let me know what to do. I can see the tube from above but haven't looked from underneath. I have no problem with jacking the car up and getting dirty. As usual, thanks for your reply.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Another question for FLCaddytech

I don't recall ever having a problem with the rack boot, i know it can happen but it's not been an issue.
This is the one we more commonly run into

GM PI#PI00062A
Condition/Concern:
Engine ticking noise sounds like an engine exhaust leak noise heard inside the passenger compartment on the drivers side of the vehicle during acceleration between 2000-3000 rpm.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Inspect for the transmission shift cable hard plastic retainer rubber grommet, that has separated from the rubber grommet at the cowl panel allowing normal exhaust noise into the passenger compartment. Repair or replace as necessary.

Models:
(2000-04 Cadillac Deville) and (1998-04 Cadillac Seville)

Old 08-03-2006, 03:22 PM

Interesting. Maybe thats what they fixed the last time and didn't tell me. Maybe mine came loose again when they repaired the engine mount and steering rack.
Is that something I can see from inside the engine compartment?

Old 08-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

yup, look at the firewall on the driver side, just to the left and down from the brakebooster as you are looking at it.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:45 PM

Yeah I see it. Its lthe line that has what looks like an inline metal something or another covered be a rubber sleeve right? The gromtet at the firewal looks like it is pushed in a bit.
Is that the one? Should it be pushed inward or what?

Old 08-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Just to clarify, there are two cables there.
The top one is throttle, the one underneth is the shifter cable.
It should be sealed in the fire wall, if it's pushed in then you will hear engine noise in the cab.
If you look under the dash where the cable comes through you may even see daylight.
Sometimes it just needs to be pushed back into place, but mostly we replace the cable assembly.