Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Oil Life Monitor - good bad indifferent

Old 04-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Default Oil Life Monitor - good bad indifferent

After ready a lot about the oil life monitor system, the algorithms in that system, I think it is a good indicator of oil life.

My wife drives commutes 30 miles each way on the freeway, hits some back-up traffic but mostly it is cursing. Therefore the oil life monitor always shows about 30% more life, even when the car has gone 3,700 miles since the last oil change.

At one time I had a van I used for deliveries. It was delivering in downtown urban traffic, about 50 engine starts a day. That was 30 years ago and I am thinking that I didn't do 3,000 mile changes. The reason I think I drove more than 3,000 because at 3,000 I would have been changing oil each month. I think I would have remembered so many trips to the garage. The engine had 150,000 miles on it when I sold it to move to a different State.

What is the feeling on the forum on this matter.

I'm using regular 30 dino and not synthetic.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Tech Certified Members

This has been a concern for some and a convienience for others. Theres a lot of variables this system uses to determine the right time for an oil change such as engine temps, rpm range, etc. Also oil today doesnt break down as fast as the older oil which also allows for longer intervals when changing oils. this info below shows a brief description of what the oil life system is.

GM Oil Life System (GMOLS)

Its a computer-based algorithm that assesses engine combustion events, temperature, vehicle use, and other parameters to determine optimum oil change intervals.

Oil changes are now called for when actually needed, instead of depending on generic time or mileage interval tables.

Mild highway driving in a mild climate can yield change intervals of 7,000 miles (11,000 km) or more, and as high as 12,000 miles (19,000 km) for some vehicles.

Short trip driving in cold weather may reduce intervals to 3,000 miles (5,000 km) or less. Most people driving a combination of city and highway will likely see intervals of about 6,000 miles (10,000 km).

When GMOLS determines that an oil and filter change is needed, the driver is notified by a Change Oil message on the instrument panel. Oil should be changed within 600 miles (1000 km).

I actually like it because it seems to be fairly accurate when notifying me. i do 80% short trip driving in town and end up about 3000miles and im notified to change oil. my Wifes Chevy Trailblazer goes longer since she does a mixtue of city and long distance trips and get about 4500miles on an oil change. So its probably correct on your vehicle iof she has 30% left which should yeild about 500 or more miles left to the next oil change. The only thing i dont believe the oil monitor does is assume what type of oil you use. therfore using just regular dino oil is gona do the same job as a synthetic. Synthectics just handle more heat and lower friction.