Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

About to buy my neighbor's 98 DeVille

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 12:15 AM
Default About to buy my neighbor's 98 DeVille

Hello. My neighbor has a 1998 DeVille for sale and I have a number of questions. What is the D'elegance package? This car has it but I can't seem to figure out exactly what this means over a traditional sedan.

I've spend the last hour searching through the archives on this forum and I see lots and lots of cooling system issues. The car I am looking at has 120,000 miles however the Northstar engine was replaced 2 years ago and has less than 1000 miles on it. Is it likely that the newer engine has had the head gasket issues fixed?

I think I see some oil leaking underneath it which perplexes me on such a new engine. I will have to look at her paperwork and see exactly what has been done. What can I do to AVOID cooling system issues? I am a fairly experienced mechanic, I have 2 91 Camaros that I love to tinker with but the Northstar is a good bit different than a 350 small block so it's a whole new world.

The car is immaculate. Owned by an older couple since new and has just been kicking around in front of her house the last 2 years since the engine was replaced. I should be able to get it for $2500 which seems like a no brainer to me, am I wrong?

Old 12-31-2008, 04:27 AM
Default RE: About to buy my neighbor's 98 DeVille

I'm guessing d'elegance is just another fancy word for more gadgets...

What can I do to AVOID cooling system issues?

Avoid excessive idling when yourengine is hot.
Change your thermostat once a year, and your pcv value
Change the water pump belt once a year
Drive with the blower on in the cabin, moving hot air, turn off your a/c when not in use.Drive with the heat on even in the summer, some may argue but it does help circulate and dissipate heat. (if you can handle it)
Periodic full acceleration to help prevent blockage or build up of sludge and sediment in your water system, and water pump.

Oil leaks are common in alot of vehicles, not just aCadillac. Overheating and engine wear are the most common causes of gasket failure. The best thing you can do is clean up the outside of the engine and keep your oil as clean as possible and limit excessive idling.

check your coolant level regularly. don't wait for a message to appear before you do

Avoid tailgaiting.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Tech Certified Members

D'elegance is the max luxury package. It is an up level model which is in the serial number, it does translate to increased value. Oil leak needs to be checked to see what it is and how bad, For 2500.00 it's likely a good deal.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: andrew61987

Hello. My neighbor has a 1998 DeVille for sale and I have a number of questions. What is the D'elegance package? This car has it but I can't seem to figure out exactly what this means over a traditional sedan.

I've spend the last hour searching through the archives on this forum and I see lots and lots of cooling system issues. The car I am looking at has 120,000 (transmission?) miles however the Northstar engine was replaced 2 years ago and has less than 1000 miles on it. Is it likely that the newer engine has had the head gasket issues fixed?

I think I see some oil leaking underneath it which perplexes me on such a new engine. I will have to look at her paperwork and see exactly what has been done. What can I do to AVOID cooling system issues? I am a fairly experienced mechanic, I have 2 91 Camaros that I love to tinker with but the Northstar is a good bit different than a 350 small block so it's a whole new world.

The car is immaculate. Owned by an older couple since new and has just been kicking around in front of her house the last 2 years since the engine was replaced. I should be able to get it for $2500 which seems like a no brainer to me, am I wrong?

do like slowroll says and ..... make sure the transmission is NOT slipping. it should be OK, but do test it
I think I be doing a compression test on the engine .. just to make sure that gasket is what it should be.
a $3,000 headgasket repair or a transmission $3,000 repair will easily exceed the purchase price.

your key terms here are "two year old coolant" and "avoid cooling system issues" ..
"headgasket fixed?" do read the FAQ thread on coolant & why you must change it.
the original engine was replaced due to failure to change out the coolant before its protection become depleted (24 months) .. I guarantee it .. and i know nothing about this car.

if I havent scared you off, and things out OK, oil leak and all, I say its a nice buy ..... so buy it.
then what ?

1. replace the coolant, 50/50 mix, NOW !

2. when you do the brakes, flush the brake fluid.

3. I would also do a transmission service with new filter and then add a bottle of LUCAS Transmission fluid .. that has become MY standard practice on all my cars over 75,000 miles on the trani.

lol & Welcome

Old 01-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: musique

Im guessing delegance is just another fancy word for more gadgets...

What can I do to AVOID cooling system issues?

Avoid excessive idling when yourengine is hot.
Change your thermostat once a year, and your pcv value
Change the water pump belt once a year
Drive with the blower on in the cabin, moving hot air, turn off your a/c when not in use.Drive with the heat on even in the summer, some may argue but it does help circulate and dissipate heat. (if you can handle it)
Periodic full acceleration to help prevent blockage or build up of sludge and sediment in your water system, and water pump.

Oil leaks are common in alot of vehicles, not just aCadillac. Overheating and engine wear are the most common causes of gasket failure. The best thing you can do is clean up the outside of the engine and keep your oil as clean as possible and limit excessive idling.

check your coolant level regularly. dont wait for a message to appear before you do

Avoid tailgaiting.

1990 Cadillac Seville
1997 Cadillac Eldorado (traded)
2000 Cadillac Deville
1979 Z28 Camaro
d'Elegance a French word, means "More elegant, more stilish, more class, tasteful richness of design and ornamentation, the sumptuous elegance of the design" .. not only gadgets, but better materials and designer interiors.

you got a nice fleet ... specially the Z28.
you also got more than one aluminum engine .. please read on.

these ALUMINUM engines have a tendency to lose the headgaskets for one and one reason.
coolant protection is depleted in about 24 months at which time, the water/coolant mix starts to eat away at the headgasket .. at some point, enough oxidation takes place to compromise the sealing and you got combustion gases blowing by past the headgasket into the "coolant" .. OVERHEATING has now been achieved due to the failure of the headgasket. Read our FAQ section.

I can debate this til the cows come home ... but,
if I am wrong, cost of coolant? $15 every two years is wasted.
if I am right, save the engine .. at a cost of .. ... $3,500 ?
I'm not a gambling man!

other than the coolant & related gasket issues, I would bet on any Northstar going 300,000 miles with proper maintenance. I am still not a gambling man.

one last note .. turn off the A/C ?
I am with you all the way, but for one more reason. they seem to last about 75,000 miles, with normal use .. normal being Ambient Control always ON.
IF you turn it OFF half the time, expect 150,000 miles.
IF you turn it OFF 3/4 of the time, expect 200,000+ miles.
What I said, applies only and only IF, you use it at least once a month, to make sure the seals remain coated with refrigerant. If you dont use it, the seals WILL DRY OUT and the sytem will fail - WILL FAIL.

[align=center]with that, my friends .. I sign OFF 2008
[/align]
[align=center]HAPPY NEW YEAR !
[/align]

see you all in 2009 ...

Old 01-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

D'elegance replaced the Fleetwood. In otherwords the top of the line of all Cadillacs.

From Wiki:

1993-1996 - For 1993, the Fleetwood name was switched from the Deville's front wheel drive C-body to the newly revised rear wheel drive D-body, being one of the first American front-wheel drive vehicles to switch back to rear-wheel drive. This new body was based on the Caprice. The Fleetwood was the largest production car made in the United States until production ceased in 1996. It was replaced by the d'Elegance trim line of the Cadillac DeVille.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:01 AM

Switched back? Wasnt the Fleetwood always rear wheel? I know the body style changed drastically, but it wasnt a switch, just a new body style. Same drivetrain right? The 93 even had the sameengine and trannydidnt it. I mean as the 92 Fleetwood.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Question Heat Blower will not turn on. 1997 Deville.

Hi! my blower motor will not turn on. I have not had any codes . I was wondering how many fuses the system has and where they're located? Is there more than just a fuse in the fuse box? I would like to thank you in advance for any help with this matter.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 PM

Hi I have a nice old 1998 Deville and maybe want to sell for parts. As, now has rotten brake lines, AC died at 100K, front bumper cracked just replaced head gasket. Tell me it is a waste to continue pouring monies at 175k miles? I just love the car though. Anyone have an new engine for me?