Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

99 Deville Leak ???

Old 06-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Default 99 Deville Leak ???

Hi everyone. Im new here and I have a quick question. I just bought a 99 Sedan Deville Yesterday. I looked underneath and everything looked very clean. It was a 1 owner trade in with 113k. I woke up today and there is a 10" wet spot in my drive in the front under the radiator but it is a brown oily substance. Does anyone have any idea what it could be ?
Thanks in advance, Phil

Old 06-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 99 Deville Leak ???

Trying to be helpful here. Can I suggest that you get a turkey baster you don't want to use again. Take it out to the car, open the hood, remove the coolant resorvoir cap (passeneger side towards firewall) and draw our some fluid. Report back to us on the colour and consistency of the fluid you draw.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:37 PM

Ok, Thanks for your reply Katzmans Caddy. If the coolant is brownish is that a head gasket ? It kills me because I looked under the car and it was dry, very small spot on the a-frame.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Usually milky-brownish fluid in the radiator indicates a mixture of coolant and oil. The first step is to do a pressure test but the typical repair for this condition is to replace the head gaskets. I would also add that repalcing head gaskets does not mean the motor is garbage, the problem could be as simple as the previous owner not changing anti freeze and the gaskets failing over time.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:52 PM

Ok Thanks, It's killing me because the car is at an uncles house and I cant even get to it until tomorrow night. A buddy said it could be either power steering hose or tranny lines.....I am keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again for your time, Phil

Old 06-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck, as you saw from my first post I did not jump to conclusions. Trans lines are problematic in these cars at this agetoo but fluid is usually redish, power steering also a problem for these cars at this age and it is usually clear.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:04 PM

YeahI understand. I just keep my fingers crossed. The car looks super clean , hopefully it was taken care of.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:20 PM

Ok, went down and got the car tonight. Anti freeze was a little low but no brown at all. Oil was down 2 quarts, the puddle was the size of a dinner plate. The puddle was coming from the passenger side of the motor. It looks like it was under the power steering pump but it was definitly oil.

The rear main seal is on the drivers side correct ? The guy i bought it said it's probally the oil sending unit or someone unplugged the oil plug in my uncles driveway.....( doubt that )

Old 06-30-2008, 07:15 AM

I ended up lucking out. It was a loose oil filter. Thank GOD

Old 06-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Excellent news! Glad it worked out for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 Deville Leak ???