Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

99 Deville Floats side-to-side

Old 05-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Default 99 Deville Floats side-to-side

Hello
I'm trying to help my son with his 99 Deville.
Regarding the suspension, it drives really poorly. I'm not sure how to describe it. Like when landing in a plane on a windy day and you see you are not straight and you wonder how the pilot will land it? Is that call "yaw"? At speeds above 40 mph it starts this side-to-side motion. Almost feels like the tires had 5 lbs of air and had no sidewall stability.

So my call is the shocks. However, I'd like to ask you guys to make sure you don't think it is something else. Classic bad shocks would have the car bouncing for a while over bumps, or a tire could go into oscillation if REALLY bad.

I'll also pull the codes and see if there are any suspension diagnostics being flagged.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 99 Deville Floats side-to-side

ORIGINAL: Peter_Reinhard

Hello
I'm trying to help my son with his 99 Deville.
Regarding the suspension, it drives really poorly. I'm not sure how to describe it. Like when landing in a plane on a windy day and you see you are not straight and you wonder how the pilot will land it? Is that call "yaw"? At speeds above 40 mph it starts this side-to-side motion. Almost feels like the tires had 5 lbs of air and had no sidewall stability.

So my call is the shocks. However, I'd like to ask you guys to make sure you don't think it is something else. Classic bad shocks would have the car bouncing for a while over bumps, or a tire could go into oscillation if REALLY bad.

I'll also pull the codes and see if there are any suspension diagnostics being flagged.

Thanks again for your help.
before we start trowing parts at it, try this:

inflate tires to 34psi and test drive .. if it is the same, swap tires front to back and report back.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

I am going with bad tires as well, possible split belts. Makes the car almost undriveable.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

unless all 4 are bad, the inflate and swap, hopefull should identify that.
if all are bad, there will be no change.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:33 AM

Had same condition on 98 DeVille wih high mileage (114,000+). Problem solved with installation of new rear suspension parts. Have them check for wear. (Wife was following me in another car and noticed that rear wheels did not track properly) Gene Hamilton Indianapolis, IN

Old 05-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Gene Hamilton

Had same condition on 98 DeVille wih high mileage (114,000+). Problem solved with installation of new rear suspension parts. Have them check for wear. (Wife was following me in another car and noticed that rear wheels did not track properly) Gene Hamilton Indianapolis, IN
Was it a good thing that you noticed your wife was following you?