Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

98 loosing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Default 98 loosing coolant

When I bought the car, on the way home, the comp said low coolant, check coolant level, coolant hot, and shut engine off, engine overheated. I brought some water back, and put it in, it only got my about 10 miles. I hear water is not good to put in the tank alone, although its loosing it anyways, I probably didnt do much damage, except for getting the engine hot. So could the leak be caused by a cracked head, or head gasket? thanks cadi guys!

Old 08-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Default RE: 98 loosing coolant

Look for the low hanging fruit:

1. Loose clamps or caps or damaged/worn hoses.
2. Make sure the coolant is full (do this when the car is cold). While you are at it...check the oil level too.
3. Loose connections or blown fuses on the cooling fan(s).
4. Dirty coolant (the service interval is not realistic for the way most people drive). If it's been more than a few years/miles or you don't know when t was last done, consider having it flushed.

If your car hasn't been driven regularly, some parts may be sticky - like the thermomstat. It may be more complex. The radiator and/or heater core may be leaking, stopped up, or corroded. The water pump may be failing or has failed. Some of the engine sensors may not be working correctly. It may need a tune up. If you have the tell-tale signs - profuse, steamy smoke from the tailpipe, milky looking engine oil, steamy coolant smell, etc., it may be something very serious. A good mechanic will be able to tend to the diagnosis and correct the trouble. Since this is your third Cadillac, you know repairs for this brand are usually costly to say the least. You may want to have the car towed to your mechanic's shop.

Given your car's age and the complexity of the model, you'll most likely continue to have some repairs and annoyances. But, you've got a beautiful, comfortable car that's generally well built and should last quite awhile. Plus second hand is cheaper than new!

Best of luck to you. I hope it's something cheap and easy to fix.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:42 AM

Thank you, I haven't located the problem yet, but hopefully by this weekend, i will find something out...

Old 09-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: coocadi

When I bought the car, on the way home, the comp said low coolant, check coolant level, coolant hot, and shut engine off, engine overheated. I brought some water back, and put it in, it only got my about 10 miles. I hear water is not good to put in the tank alone, although its loosing it anyways, I probably didnt do much damage, except for getting the engine hot. So could the leak be caused by a cracked head, or head gasket? thanks cadi guys!
I hope there is coolant on yor driveway.
THAT is really REALLY important to know !