Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

1st time owner 2000 Deville DHS follow up

Old 05-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Default 1st time owner 2000 Deville DHS follow up

Hi all. If you read my first post you know that I was inquiring about a slight shake to the car. For the most part our combined consensus was to try an alignment. Well 2 weeks ago on Friday before I could do thealignment the reason became clear. As I was driving to a town about 30 miles from home on a highway doing about 60MPH, the service transmission light came on. As I came to my first stop after the light came on, no problem. I thought that maybe it was just a service light. Well, as I proceeded forward from my stopped position, the car lurched as it went from 1st to 2nd gear and again from 2nd to 3rd. I was able to turn around and proceed directly to a friends transmission shop without having to stop the car again. I left the Caddy with him to do a diagnostic. On the following Monday he called me and told me we had a major problem. His assessment was that the car kept slipping out of 4th gear. Upon opening, one of the bands was broken andmajor damage to workings of the trans had occured. Fortunately, as I may have posted before, I bought this car from another friend who owns a car lot who was actually selling it for another friend. My car dealer pal sold it to me through the business so that I could get a warranty on it. Richie, my transmission guy, said that he doesn't believe any deceit happened here and that this was a unseen problem waiting to happen (my luck huh). I called Cadillac with regards to warranty transfers from prior owners and unfortunately the prior owner let their extended warranty lapse last November. However, since the car was serviced exclusively through the dealer, they were able to pull up all service records and assured me that there was no mention ever of transmission problems and that it had been routinely serviced according to Cadillac guidelines. Also, Cadillac is issuing me some kind of annoyance voucher good for free services of some kind at any Cadillac dealer. I should have an answer tomorrow as to the extent the warrantycompany will offer. We think they will only pay for a used trans (as well as a portion of my rental car) so I will be coughing up the difference for a rebuilt. When I asked Richie about the shake (again it was minor) he said that it could have been caused by the trans at the beginning of the end of the slippage problem and that what I felt as the shake was the conflict inside the trans. After he is done fixing the car, I will be taking it over to Cadillac to discuss extended warranties. He does work for the local Cadillac dealer, so there should be no problem in the extending the warranty. I just wanted to update the forum and to get anyones opinions on (A) the extended warranties offered and (B) opinions and thoughts on the tranny going after only 48000. Thanks all. Can't wait to get my car back. And props to Cadillac. The person I spoke with was great and made me feel like she and they truly care about their customers.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1st time owner 2000 Deville DHS follow up

Look in our vendors area, ther are a couple of posts there regarding extended warranties, and an article I posted regarding the pros and cons. Do all the research you can if it is your decision to get one, there are a lot of rip offs out there.