Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Head Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Default Head Gasket?

My 96 Deville is slowly losing engine coolant and it's coming out the exhaust, i.e. slow drips of coolant and also blowing white smoke here and there. It's also hard to start my car in the morning due to the pistons hydrolocking. I'm assuming it's the coolant in there. Anyway, once the car starts it runs and starts great the rest of the day.

So, basically I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and what eventually happened. I know it isnt good, but how long can I drive it like this? I can't afford to get the head gasket fixed if that is indeed what is wrong with it. Also, no coolant or water is getting mixed into the oil.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-16-2007, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Head Gasket?

try the FAQ Forum, there is a quick (temporary fix)

i am NOT recommending it, but simply pointing out !

Old 05-16-2007, 02:53 AM
Tech Certified Members

Hey JRM : Not sure how these things work in the long run but worth a try. Bars Leak puts out a product that will seal head gaskets, as well go to www.rxauto.com for a product called therma gasket. Haven't tried them myself but have heard of some good results.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:51 PM

Hey, thanks. I'm probably going to try one of the stop leak products, and hope for the best. I'll let u know how it turns out.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: jrm347

I want to drain and completely flush my coolant system. I have a few drain pans, and I purchased a bottle of the prestone super flush. Where exactly is the coolant to drain from? Is there a bolt or cap that twists off, or do I have to unhook a hose? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
follow the instructions EXACTLY as given. for the product.

if you dont have a drain valve, use the bottom rad hose to drain,
if needed, refill and drain a couple of times to get all the coolant out.

ORIGINAL: jrm347

Thanks. Yeah, for the sealant, I will follow directions exactly as it says. Prior to this I want to completely flush the coolant system to maximize the effects of the sealant. I'm hoping this will stop the coolant loss for a while. If this doesn't work, I guess I'll have to actually fork up the cash and get the gaskets replaced. Ouch

Thanks
also, do read our FAQ on Dex-Cool ..
you will most likely find prevention there.
what you read there applies to all cars.