Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

97 Issues - possibly fuel line related - starting mostly

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 09:22 PM
Default 97 Issues - possibly fuel line related - starting mostly

Hello,

I have had on and off problems with a 97 deville. I'll kinda make a list because its the easiest way I can think of. First post here so not too familiar with everything. If you guys have any ideas it would be awesome because I'm getting sick of mechanics having no idea (tried both licensed cadillac places and other well trusted local mechanics).

-After the car sits for a while, the battery is too low to start the car. I hear the starter clicking, but that is about it. Also won't jump half the time - I need to fool around with the jumper cables for a good 30 minutes sometimes to get it to jump. I am thinking that is a bad relay somewhere in the line. Have had the battery replaced multiple times. The car acts as if the jumper cables aren't even attached until all the sudden everything lights up and it starts fine.

-Lately (Thanksgiving time), the car will not start right away. I need to gas it to get it to start. It turns over and everything, just doesn't start until the gas hits it.

-Just now and my main reason for worrying aside from obnoxius delays to work, the car keeps 'missing' while I'm driving it. The gas almost flickers in and out. Almost like a bad transmission, but, I can tell its not transmission - well familiar with that one.

I am going to buy a thing of dry gas tomorrow and run through it. The car mostly doesn't run - I am a Penn State student and only use it when I'm home on break for the most part. The mechanics have said the fuel pump may be going bad but that is about it. If anybody has any ideas even where to start, I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you - Happy Holidays.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 97 Issues - possibly fuel line related - starting mostly

It sounds like you may need new battery cable(s).Check positive battery cable for corrosion at terminal and condition of wire itself. If copper wire is green or a reddish you need new cable.If you have terminal end repair kit(s) on cable(s) you need new battery cable(s). If you have any added accessaries that are attached to battery by placing eyelet between battery and cable relocate it. If you find you need new cable,get it from GM or AC Delco dealer. Do not use universal cables from discount auto parts store.

Hard starting, running rough :Is ses light on? maybe related to above. Check for codes.