Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

97 Deville Headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Default 97 Deville Headlamps

Hello everyone. I'm having a problem with the headlamps on my Deville. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Here are the details and the order in which everything happened:

I picked up the car in a trade back in April of this year. When I got it, the guy told me that every once in awhile, the headlamps would take a minute to turn on when you pulled the switch, and that they would also stay on sometimes. I figured out that if I unlocked and locked the car a few times with the remote, the headlamps would eventually go off. (As far as the delay coming on, it only happened a couple of times between April and June.) However, in late June, I was getting ready to leave for work, and the headlamps quit working altogether. I still have DRLs, but the rest of the headlamp functions (low beams, high beams, and flash-to-pass) are inoperable.

I've checked all the fuses (underhood and in trunk), and I have NO blown fuses. I literally checked every single fuse. I also just replaced the headlamp switch last night, to no avail. I'm not sure if there are any larger relays in the car or not, as I can't seem to find any. If anyone has an idea of what I can do, please let me know. Thank you for your time.

Rick

Old 07-17-2009, 05:47 PM

did you replace the twilight switch also?

Old 07-18-2009, 04:15 AM

Yes, the headlamp switch & twilight switch are all one piece on my car. I did end up fixing it late last night. It turns out it was one of the relays next to the MaxiFuse panel (which I didn't know was there until after my first post. It was one of the 4-prong relays.

As it turns out, I think the headlamp relay shorted out inside, causing the lights to always stay on, because when I switched the DRL and Headlamp relays to test it out, the DRLs would stay on all the time. Now that I've replaced the fuse with a new one, I have no problems with lights staying on (so far, anyway).

Rick