Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

97 deville getting hot and dies

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Default 97 deville getting hot and dies

Im having problems with my moms deville. she was coming home the other day when her just died. i went to get her and the car. it cranked up and was running fine. it got a little warmed up and it suddenly acted like it had no power. i thought i had an overheating problem because steam was blowing out of the vent tube. i thought it may be the fans. but today i was messing with it and the fans are working fine. so i took it for test drive and it backed up five feet and died. it would not crank at all. i let it sit for a few minutes and it cranked right up. i dont know what the display is saying because it is burned out. i tried swapping it out for one in the junk yard(just the middle part) but that display didnt work either. its not throwing any codes, not even a no start code. the light has stayed off since i changed the display. with the old it stayed on. i know its working because it comes on when i cycle the key to on, but thats another deal. i thinthe reason it is dying is the ignition control module but im not 100% sure. if anybody can give me some help that would be greatly appreciated. thanks