Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

97 A/C problem

Old 07-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Cool 97 A/C problem

The A/C on my wifes 97 Deville does not work. the compressor seems to be running, there is no low ref. message, the blower stages up as it should, but the vent air is about outside temp. I tried to add ref. to system just to see if it was the problem and it would not take any. I cycled the system through all the settings, recirculate on and off, passenger on and off, etc. I am wondering if there is a temp control motor in these for the cold air duct only, the heat works like a furnace so I assumed the temp motor was working unless heat and cool are seperate. A local shop told her the compressor was bad @ $700 this just happened overnight, and there is no unusual noise out there. Thanx.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:02 PM

MY 98's AC just faded away this year. Still worked a little at speed but nothing at idle. The compressor rattled a little. Tried the add ref. trick (14oz) and got marginally better operation. Took it to the dealer-the told me it needed a new compressor-about $1340 to get the entire job done with a remanufactured compressor. Unhappy with the cost, very happy with the results.

chuck
98 Deville Concours

Old 07-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

lots of good compressors at salvage yards .. make some calls.

I see them often for $50 to $100.