Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

93 Deville no torque from stop .. ERLS fuse blown ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Default 93 Deville no torque from stop .. ERLS fuse blown ?

This a new thread started from "93 Deville 4.9 Coolant temp". Now there's a possible transmission problem so created this NEW Thread.

Problem;
From dead stop it has very little torque in D, it'll eventually get some inertia and start moving. Once I’ve got some speed it seems to respond fine. Tranny is not slipping, hot or cold it acts the same. I didn't check the fluid's smell but it was low, and looked sort of red so I filled it. Car has 230K miles, I bought it at 83K. I've never had the tranny touched in any way. If I manually shift through 1,2,3 it'll move/respond somewhat normally.

Suggestion from: RCADBLUE4
As to the trans, sounds like the torque converter is not locking up. I can't remember if your car has the electronic lock up converter or not. If so, there is a sensor or switch that is supposed to lock the converter at a certain RPM/Load. Check your book to see. If it has that type of converter that's where I would look. Also check for any disconnected wires/plugs on the tranny.

Additions:
Since I got this torque problem two days ago, my Cruise Control doesn't work either. It worked last week so I'm assuming it is related to this torque issue. Probably unrelated, but you never know, the only error code that I'm getting is E40 "Power Steering Pressure Switch". That may be related to the fact that I just re-attached my ISC. My idling went berserk last year and I couldn't resolve it so I manually set the idle plunger manually and disconnected the controller. Replacing a fouled plug, O2 sensor, and finally a thermostat have cleared the idling problem up...I think!

Thanks for any input!

--------------------------
93 Sedan Deville

Last edited by Stealth; 07-02-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Old 07-01-2009, 03:10 PM

This thread sounds exactly like what is going on with my 93 Deville.

No 1st gear (auto), E40 error, and I had an A/C error code that I cleared the other day too.

===============

A 15A fuse labeled ERLS protects the following circuits:
A/C compressor Control Relay, Viscous Converter Clutch Brake Switch, EGR Solenoid,
Vapor Cannister Purge Solenoid, Power Steering Pressure Switch

Reports of a shorted coil in the A/C compressor clutch has been known to blow that fuse.

==========
mod edit

Last edited by Stealth; 07-02-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Default 15 amp fuse fixed it

As a wrap up to this, replacing the 15 amp fuse (under the glove box) fixed the issue. Turning on the AC must've blown the fuse. The AC doesn't work anyway so now it's officially hands off!

Thanks to this forum and my owners manual for the clues on this one.