Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

85 sedan deville E22 error code

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Default 85 sedan deville E22 error code

Hi there,
I have recently aquired my grandfathers 85 cadillac sedan deville. It has been running incredibly well these past 3 three weeks. I have recently been cleaning it out and fixing little things. I degreesed the engine and then armoralled the engine. After I did that it has a rough idle and stalls out if let idle for 1 or 2 minutes. I cleared out the codes to see if they would return after a short drive 5 miles or so. Only one of the two codes came back. The E22 code. I did some research it appears to indicate that the E22 code is a Open throttle circuit sensor. Did I break it when I washed out the motor? Is it repairble or easily replaceable? I am not sure what it looks like or where it it located. Also side note the gas pedal makes pulsing noise after ignition is turn prior to start up.
Most books on this car are a very large generalization of cars between 70 to 85. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jason Micallef

Here is how all the codes originally came off the panel on this order.
E22 E52......F11 F48 70

Last edited by THECLAW; 02-10-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Tech Certified Members

On either side of the throttle body are both the idle control motor (ISC) and the throttle postion sensor (TPS). I would gently remove the wiring plug to each and spray the contacts with WD 40 to remove water and then apply di electric grease to them to keep out water. The pulsing noise is the ISC trying to correct to the proper idle speed as commanded by the computer. If it was fine before, you have either partially unplugged these or allowed water into them.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Default Help other issues have risen

Well I seemed to get both of those all fixed. Thanks.........but now I have 2 other issues that poped up in the error codes. E26 and E32. Are atill continuing to appear. At first it all came up as E26, E27, E32, E52. I cleared it our of the memory. Restarted the car took it for a drive. But yet both of those two codes are appearing. **E26-Shorted Throttle Switch circuit**, and **E32- Open map sensor circuit DFI/TBI Baro Sensor circuit problem**
Any help and or ideas would be great.
Thanks,
Jason Micallef

Old 02-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Certified Members

E26 - Check nose switch on ISC, it has screw on the end that contacts throttle lever, it should go in and out a little and you may hear a click. If it doesn't it's possible auto armor gummed it up try spraying it with WD40. Maybe it will free up and start working again. E32 you will need use ON Board to see what P02 and P03 read with key on engine off. ECM uses value from MAP sensor when key is turned to run/start for baro value. It's possible there is a restriction in Map sensor vacuum typically carbon build up under and within throttle body vacuum ports. You need to get FSM for DeVille/Fleetwood it will be on cover, not Fleetwood Brougham, try ebay or used manual venders

Old 02-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by slowroll
E26 - Check nose switch on ISC, it has screw on the end that contacts throttle lever, it should go in and out a little and you may hear a click. If it doesn't it's possible auto armor gummed it up try spraying it with WD40. Maybe it will free up and start working again. E32 you will need use ON Board to see what P02 and P03 read with key on engine off. ECM uses value from MAP sensor when key is turned to run/start for baro value. It's possible there is a restriction in Map sensor vacuum typically carbon build up under and within throttle body vacuum ports. You need to get FSM for DeVille/Fleetwood it will be on cover, not Fleetwood Brougham, try ebay or used manual venders

Hey thanks for all the useful info. I just went to ebay and found a cadillac tech shop manuel for that year deville and fleetwood from a dealship out of business. .....$20.00 shipped

Where is a good place to buy parts for this vehicle at a reasonable price. Ebay seems to be a bit limited.
-Jason