Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

2001 DTS Engine misfire detected... why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Default 2001 DTS Engine misfire detected... why?

Hi, Figured out why the car is acting like it is....pulled some codes as in last post, and came up with "engine misfire detected". OK, now what? It doesn't give me a specific code for what cylinder, just the PCM P0300 code.How do I fix the problem??? (the other codes I had listed I can live with, mainly tire pressure sensors...garage broke it)

Thanks all,
Kim

Old 06-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2001 DTS Engine misfire detected... why?

A full scan would pinpoint the cylinder at the shop. Misfire can be a few things:
1. Plugs
2. Coils
3. Fuel Filter
4. Air Filter
5. Wrong octane gas
6. Dirty Mass Air Flow

Old 06-23-2008, 10:30 AM

Hi,
Ok, took the first 4plugs out, found the fourth was the problem (so far). IF we put a good one on the fourth and that goes bad, does it necessarily mean that that is the problem?? Trying to self-fix. Could the fuel injectorsjust be dirty??
thanks,
Kim

Old 06-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

I think you are doing the right thing, start with the plugs, all 8 and see what happens. Wires can get pricey but it would be good to change them too. You could try a bottle of fuel injector cleaner too.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:28 PM

Hi,
got the plugs out, finally!! what a set up! anyway, 1 bad plug...looked at fuel injectors, they had some crud, steel wooled them clean, NOW the problem is the fuel injectors are SPEWING gas when key engaged. is there a specific way to reattach them?????? Hubby is at wits end...and he is very mechanical.
thanks, kim

Old 06-23-2008, 02:44 PM

Hi, no wires in this car....just found out the o rings may be shot on the fuel injectors.... we'll let you know what happens. Great way to spend the day, hunched over an engine.

Thanks for the help! Kim

Old 06-23-2008, 02:46 PM

...also gto a bottle of fuel injector cleaner.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

It only takes one bad plug but Ouch, I'm not so sure steel wool is the best idea on injectors. Anyway the injectors will pop in but make sure the O rings are not damaged and put a little clean engine oil on the injectors O rings with you finger when reinstalling. Really should have new O rings. Run fuel injector cleaner in gas tank.

Thanks on wires, on my first post I did not include them in the listbut on second I forgot it was a 2001.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:23 PM

Sorry, it wasn't the injectors the wool was used on, it was the coils. Hopefully that wasn't a boo-boo...anyway, they're nice and shiny now. put the cleaner in the tank. the o rings were stuck up in the cap. didn't see them right away. Husband took the car for a test ride...i'll get back to tell you how we made out.
Thanks again.

well, it still running rough.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Coil pack. It might look shinny but still could be bad. What about a fuel filter. How is car on wide open throttle?

Quick Reply: 2001 DTS Engine misfire detected... why?