Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

91 Deville misfire, fuel tank, or transmission issues!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 02:31 PM
Default 91 Deville misfire, fuel tank, or transmission issues!?!

I have a 91 Cadillac Deville with the 4.9l MPI. I have a couple of problems. First, the electronic fuel gauge can go from 13 gallons on an incline all the way to nothing on a decline. If I'm traveling 25mph and go downhill and try to come to a stop the car will lose its idle and many times stahl especially if I'm turning. If it doesn't stahl the idle goes up and the car wants to jump forward. How many fuel pickups are in the tank? Seems not to act up as much when I have more than half a tank. I just dont get would effect the fuel level, idle, and the misfiring.

That leads me to the second issue being misfiring. I had someone due a tune up. they changed the wires, plugs, cap, button and fuel filter. The car seems to start misfiring once it warms up. I had a hard time reaching 40 mph on an incline getting on the interstate. It felt like it was missing. I felt popping and noise under my feet in the drivers seat. That coincided with the missing. A lot more noticeable when accelerating at higher speeds.

The only code I got was e71 which is an intermittent map sensor.

What should I do and where should I start? I have a map sensor on order. How hard is it to remove the carburetor and clean it? Same with the throttle body!