Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

1990 deVille check engine/service vehicle light - Speedometer intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Default 1990 deVille check engine/service vehicle light - Speedometer intermittent

Hello all. I have a 1990 Cadillac Sedan deVille that is giving me some major problems. I recently had a tune-up and the serpentine belt replaced. Before and after there was a slight squealing that went away after it warmed up. In the past few days the check engine light has been coming on as well as the service engine soon light. The other issue is that the speedometer works intermittently. When the speedometer stops working, the car runs pretty rough. Then, out of the blue, the speedometer works and the engine smooths out. At times, the car seems to lose power and almost die. I've checked all the fluids, and they are fine. The last time I started the car, it seemed to idle way higher than normal; it also took 4 or five tries to start, which is very unusual. I am afraid to drive it until I know exactly what it wrong, as I really don't want to risk doing serious damage to the car.

I know I have to take it to a mechanic, but I wanted to see if anyone has dealt with anything similar. I am also trying to figure out how much this will cost, as I have an extremely limited budget. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Grant A. Van Vranken; 04-16-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:54 PM
Default Fault Codes

So I was doing some research, and found out how to display the error codes on the caddy. This is what came up:

. .E
E12
E30
E52
E91
E98
. .F
F32

So I tried to find what each code meant and found a variety of answers.
E12 - No distributor signal
E30- Idle Speed Control Circuit problem
E52 - ECM Memory reset
E91 - PRNDL switch or transmission range switch signal problems
F32 - Issues with wires between ECM+BCM or bad ECM/BCM

Maybe it's just me, but this seems like a LOT of error codes. More specifically, it sounds very expensive to fix. As I am on an extremely limited budget, what do you think the best, and least expensive, avenue to fix this problem would be?