Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

1990 Cadi Deville, One of Many Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:23 AM
Default 1990 Cadi Deville, One of Many Problems

Ok, im a college student with limited time, and even more limited money. I got this cadi when i was 17 and was having problems ever sicne. My biggest problem now is that when i go to start my car, it wont turn over. it will crank and even stutter like it is about to start but wont. usually i let the car sit for about 6 to 12 hours. I come back and it turns over easier it did than when it came off the factory line. now i've had a buddy of mine look under the hood while this problem was happening and he reported that he saw orangish sparks going around the distributor at each point on top of the rubber boots. Also when this problem arose, my car would also cut out when turning at low speeds, it would stall. start right back up, but would generally stall when turning corners at low speed when the engine was still fairly cold.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1990 Cadi Deville, One of Many Problems

Looks like your boots are leaking man, as in your spark plug wire boots. Time for new wires. Start with new wires and see what happens, you may need to go to the distributor too, could be cracked and arcing.Sadly GM wires will set you back about $240. In your case one of the big auto houses will probably have more reasonably priced ones. I am sure you can get them for under $100. I would only put GM wires on my car but we've all been to college so do what it takes to get the Caddy fired up.

Another reason for a cranking engine and no start condition is lack of fuel. You might change the fuel filter and see what happens, these are often neglected. Make sure you have a good clean air filter too. Every engine needs air and fuel to run.