Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

rattling/clunking noise on CTS

Old 12-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Default rattling/clunking noise on CTS

I have a 2005 CTS with just over 36,000 miles, I am noticing a clunking or rattling noise on the passenger side of the vehicle, I haven't been able to pinpoint it to the rear or front but we hear it pretty much all the time especially at low speed over speed bumps and slight bumps in the road. Some days it seems louder than on other days and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the outside temps. Does anyone have any info on this? We have had it at the shop once, and they replaced both front sway bar links because they found some slack in the joints, but the rattling/clunking noise persists. Could it be the struts? Thanks!

Old 12-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: rattling/clunking noise on CTS

05 ??? Is it still under warranty?

Old 12-18-2008, 07:49 PM

Yes it is still under warranty

Old 12-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Tech Certified Members

Send it to the dealer and tell/show them what car is doing and ask them to fix it. You can't tell them how to fix it, you can ask them to make noise go away.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:16 PM

I did that when I took it to the dealer after I noticed the noise, had someone ride with me but the noise wasn't very noticeable at that particular time. I'll have to take it back to them and hopefully it will be making the noise when i do, just thought someone may have had this problem and could inform as to what it ended up being.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Tech Certified Members

Noises unfortunately can have a multitude of causes, shocks or mounts, lower control arms, or possibly something else. try to notice anything and everything you can related to how to reproduce noise. and feed it to the tech so he will be able to verify it is fixed when he is done. Get rental on drop off and tell your adviser you want to road test car prior to pick up to be sure it is fixed so maybe they make sure it's fixed.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:53 PM

Ok, thanks so much for your info, will give it another try!

Old 12-21-2008, 10:41 AM

I had the exact same issue on my brand new 2008 CTS. I was more like a thumping noise every time (but delayed a few milliseconds)I went thru a bump or big crackat low speed. I took to back to the dealer twice, and finally on the last trip, one of the guys threre discovered do***ent ID: 2152631, #PIC4838A - Clunk Noise in Rear Suspension Over Bumps - Keywords knock pop popping - (Jun 12, 2008). Essentially, it said to check the shock absorber in the rear suspension knuckie on both sides. Inspect for contact between the shock clevis bracket and the knuckie. If the bushing is de-bonded, contact can occur causing a noise. If the bushing is de-bonded, replace the knuckie, but do not replace the lower control arm, the cradle, the shock, or any other suspension link.

I never really knew what they made by "de-bonded", I wish I had seen it... But at any rate, that indeed was the problem. Good luck!

Old 12-22-2008, 08:00 AM

Thanks, I'll mention this to the dealerships service dept. when I take it back!

Old 02-13-2009, 07:14 PM

mine did the same exact thing, it was the struts,had 38,000 miles on it,all was great after struts were replaced.