Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

Headlight adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Default Headlight adjustment

I have an '04 CTS, sport/luxury gas headlights. I had to have one replaced recently, now I notice that the light doesn't shine out as far as I think it should on low beam. Is there a easy way( I hope) to adjust the beam?
Also, has any one had any trouble with the front shocks. My Caddy has only 77 thousand klm's. That's about 45 000 miles. I would think they would last longer than that but it sure hits hard on the front end.
I am a new member as of December '08 and try to read as much as I can from all you members. I have owned this for about one year now.
Thanks,

BMack

Old 01-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Headlight adjustment

ORIGINAL: BMack

I have an '04 CTS, sport/luxury gas headlights. I had to have one replaced recently, now I notice that the light doesn't shine out as far as I think it should on low beam. Is there a easy way( I hope) to adjust the beam?
Also, has any one had any trouble with the front shocks. My Caddy has only 77 thousand klm's. That's about 45 000 miles. I would think they would last longer than that but it sure hits hard on the front end.
I am a new member as of December '08 and try to read as much as I can from all you members. I have owned this for about one year now.
Thanks,

BMack
headlights ...
yes .. take it to someone that has the "adjust headlight tools"

shocks / struts ...
IMO, at 75,000 miles a set of shocks or struts doesnt owe you anything.
if the car has been bounced on dips and pot holes, expect even less.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:04 PM

According to my 05 CTS service manual, there is only vertical adjustment for the headlights. The adjustment screws are accessable from under the hood, just inboard from each headlight. There is a small hole with what looks like a hex or star point bolt about an inch or two down in the hole. Beside the bolt are the letters "R" and "L", presumably for raise and lower. You could do the old "trial and error" adjustment. The manual givesan elaborate description of how to adjust the lights but no real measurements other than consulting local ordinances.

If you plan on doing any work on your car or keeping it for a long time the service manual is handy to have around. Though not cheap (about $150) it contains a LOT of information. The one for my car is three volumes and each of the 3 books is almost 3 inches thick!

Good luck, Mike.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:56 AM

Thank you guys. Mike, I'll take a look for those adj screws this weekend.
Stomper, that's 77000 klms which is only 48000 miles.
Enjoy your weekend guys.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:10 PM

my 04 had a thumping noise everytime i went over the smallest of bumps,it got to be real annoying, had 38,000 took it to dealer told them i thought struts were bad they said no, it was the bushings,well after replacing bushings ,they realized i was right.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:41 PM

make sure the light you replace is high intensive discharge (HID) before you attempt for adjust thanks