Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

Help!! My car won't shift out of park!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Default Help!! My car won't shift out of park!

About 3 weeks ago, I started my car and when I went to shift it out of Park, it would not budge. The brake, TC and another light was lite up. I unplugged the battery thinking it would reset but nothing happened. I had it towed to a Cadillac dealership which replaced the computer, which was covered under power terrain warranty, and something else in the braking system. Today, the same problem came up again. Please help because I don't need another huge bill toward something that doesn't fix my car. Any suggestions?

Old 08-10-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Triplellll
About 3 weeks ago, I started my car and when I went to shift it out of Park, it would not budge. The brake, TC and another light was lite up. I unplugged the battery thinking it would reset but nothing happened. I had it towed to a Cadillac dealership which replaced the computer, which was covered under power terrain warranty, and something else in the braking system. Today, the same problem came up again. Please help because I don't need another huge bill toward something that doesn't fix my car. Any suggestions?
I'm having the same issue with 03 CTS. All my brake light works. I checked all the fuse and they were good. Disconnected the battery for a couple of hours and still have the same message. let me know what you find out about your car

thanks,

Old 08-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Triplellll
About 3 weeks ago, I started car and when I went to shift it out of Park, it would not budge. The brake, TC and another light was lite up. I unplugged the battery thinking it would reset but nothing happened. I had it towed to a Cadillac dealer which replaced the computer, which was covered under power terrain warranty, and something else in the braking system. Today, the same problem came up again. Please help because I don't need another huge bill toward something that doesn't fix my car. Any suggestions?
I suspect the brake switch has failed.

try repeatedly stepping on the brake pedal and trying to shift car with key on. These switches fail a lot. The brake switch is located on the brake pedal and keeps the trans shifter locked until depressed.

Another way to try is to barely rotate the key--keeping power off--sometimes you can get the shifter to release with the electrical power off. just have to play with it. If you get the shifter to release with power off, start the car in "neutral" then you can drive and get a new switch if that is the issue.