Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

vibration 2009 cts d.i.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Default vibration 2009 cts d.i.

I recently purchased a 2009 CTS D.I.(9000 miles) shortly after getting home with the car I noticed that there was a strong vibration that started pricisely 45 MPH and kind of demished at 60 MPH and showed up strong at 70 MPH.
I tryed down and up shifting and going into neutral as well as turning the Traction Control off with no improvement.
The car was taken to a local reputable dealer and they were given all of the above information. They felt the two rear tires didn't meet road force limitations and replaced the two rear tires. They balanced all four tires.
Now I have a shake in the steering wheel and the vibration in the rear did not go away.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Blue Max

Old 03-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Tech Certified Members

car still under mfg warranty!!! did you take to cadillac dealer for repair?? did you do any title search, car-fax on car prior to buying??
problem could be any number of things, really. is car all original.... wheels, paint, etc??
rickyd

Old 03-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Default vibration

As I stated the car was taken to a reputable Cadillac dealer. The car had a super clean CAR FAX report.
The car had the vibration with the original High polished wheel. I had the wheels chromed. Each wheel was checked for measurements and roundness for the lack of a better word before and after remounting.

Last edited by blue max; 03-06-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Tech Certified Members

sorry, i think i only saw reputable dealer...... has anyone check the wheel bearings?? to be honest, my sts had a viberation, for the longest time caddy dealers, gm dealers, vinny( my personal wrench), three different tire joints, in three different states were unable to find problem. it must be the suspension on these cars that untill the bearing get pretty bad are you able to tell. have the wheel bearings checked. hope it helps..... oh as far as having more problems after 2 new tires, balance, etc. sounds like a weight is not quite right. i know its driving you crazy, hang in. good luck, keep the forum posted.
rickyd

Last edited by rickyd; 03-06-2010 at 09:10 AM. Reason: additional infp
Old 03-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Tech Certified Members

Sounds like a driveline vibration. Need to check the drive-shaft, and half-shafts, imho. The new steering wheel shimmy has to be a wheel balance issue, or the rims were improperly torqued when they put them back on. Improper torquing of the wheel lugs can warp the brake rotors, and the rims, in some cases. Another thought is it may be an exhaust resonance that you feel in the rear. Depending on the hanger condition, some exhaust rattles/resonance can feel like a wheel vibration at speed. Since we can't actually feel what vibration you feel, we can only throw out the most common causes for a vibration. Hope some of the ideas help pin-point it. I once had a customer complain of a vibration that would come and go, after we did a transmission job. I couldn't duplicate the issue, so I had them take me for a ride. Turns out, it was the bug deflector on the hood. It would vibrate enough at certain speeds to really feel it. "Never did that before you worked on it", of course. I finally found that the auxiliary trans cooler we had installed was changing the air flow at the front of the car enough to cause the deflector to buzz. I had the tech move the cooler, and the vibration went away...

Last edited by Adams' Apple; 03-06-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Default Davids

I got cadillac cts-v 2009, wow. It is blazingly fast, incredible handling, excellent media interface and sound. It is the first vehicle I have ever had that exceeded my expectations, and I had an M5 before. No comparison, USA muscle wins this one! needs backup camera, limited rear visibility. I would say poor mileage, but you don't buy this for its efficiency, so its a nonissue. Very solid interior, not the plasticky Caddy stuff you have seen in the past.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Smile Vibration 2009 CTS

Car went back to Cady dealer and he replaced the front two tires(all four have been replaced now)
This was bulletin 09-00-91-001A set front and real camber and caster.
Also did K9532 TCM Reprograming which I think is insulators and
E 3537 Lower control arm replacement both sides.
Drove the car over a 1000 miles no front shimmy at high or low speeds.
There is a very slight vibration in the rear of the car just at 45 mph and is gone before and after that speed.
On the interstates including a drive thru St Louis I averaged 27.8 MPG. Very happy with that.
First time I have used the rain sense wipers. Read the benefits in your manual they are great as they change wiper speeds as needed and you can even adjust how it responds. Pretty great Know your car. You will be happier.