Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

condensation on oil cap? 03 3.2 cts

Old 02-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Default condensation on oil cap? 03 3.2 cts

on my 03 CTS 3.2, Itseems to have an unusual amout of condensation build up on the oil cap and the top of the oil fill pipe ...Looks like yellow muck.Has anyone else exp this? and why does it happen.I clean it out everytime I change the oil

Old 02-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Default RE: condensation on oil cap? 03 3.2 cts

I would have my machanic do a pressure check looking for a leaking head gasket. You are discribing water getting into your oil, not good.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:42 PM
JV

I have seen it on my 03 cts. If I have the same muck as you thenit could be that this yellow muck is actually early signs of engine sludge and you should look into possible treatments before you lose horse power and throttle response as I was told. I know that castrol makes an oil that is supposed to stop the build up of engine sludge but I am not aware of any other products through mobil 1 or any other brands.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:13 PM

how many miles do you have on your CTS, mine has 65K and i am the 2nd owner,I bought it with 61K nad have changed the oil 3x so far

Old 03-04-2007, 01:07 AM
JV

I have 59,000. Almost all the miles are highway miles.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

GM has done tests in cold country of engines that do not come to temperature.
they have found that some engine will almost double the volume of fluid in the
crankcase due to ac***ulating moisture over the period of oil changes.
that means WATER and OIL.

it does take quite a few miles of driving to rid of the moisture at every engine start.
in SoCA, it takes me over 5 miles of driving to get my engine and trani to full temp,
my D.I.C. provides that info. when i was in NY, it was a much longer period.

i'm not familiar with your car, but is there a way to have the system report the temp
of oil, coolant and trani?

ORIGINAL: lavarok

on my 03 CTS 3.2, Itseems to have an unusual amout of condensation build up on the oil cap and the top of the oil fill pipe ...Looks like yellow muck.Has anyone else exp this? and why does it happen.I clean it out everytime I change the oil

Old 03-21-2007, 05:36 PM

hey, thanks for your input, to my knowledge,I do not have the ability to find outwhat the specific temps are with the engine of my 03 3.2 cts. If anyone else has info, please let me know... thanks so much for the info on this subject......

Old 03-22-2007, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

one last thing, found what i was referencing to above.

go here:
https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_5792...1/key_/tm.htm#

a partial quote
the oil was due to be changed due to short tripping the car, time since the last change and the oil is likely never getting to operating temperature due to the short trip driving. Many people don't realize that the worst possible thing to do to engine oil is to short trip the car. I've seen the oil life monitor "timeout" in as little as 500 miles in winter , short trip driving. The oil sampled from that test sequence had over 35% gasoline in it due to the fact that the engine had been started so many times and had never been warmed up ...!!! In winter driving like that you can actually see the oil level in the crankcase go UP as gasoline and water ac***ulate in the crank case. One long drive on the expressway to warm up the oil good will restore the oil and the oil life can/will compensate for this. On the other hand, repeated, long trip driving will often go 7500 miles on an oil change according to the oil life monitor. In any case, one year is the maximum I would ever recommend to wait for an oil change , especially in occasional use type cars.
ORIGINAL: lavarok

hey, thanks for your input, to my knowledge,I do not have the ability to find outwhat the specific temps are with the engine of my 03 3.2 cts. If anyone else has info, please let me know... thanks so much for the info on this subject......

Old 01-30-2008, 01:41 PM

I have the same problem in my 03. I need to get it checked out soon because I think it might be burning/leaking oil. There is no oil loss but i can smell it.