Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

Burning Smell

Old 12-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Default Burning Smell

Hello Everyone,

I have noticed a strong burning smell inside my car when the Defrost is on. I have noticed it on several different occasions, but it appears to come and go. I am not getting any messages from the message center and there aren't any indicator lights illuminated. I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealership, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar problem with their 2005 CTS. I do live in a heavily populated area where there are a lot of trees, so I was thinking maybe some debris could have possibly gotten underneath the hood.Recently, I had a new battery installed and I can't remember smelling this burnt smell prior to that. Also, on August 21, 2008 I had the Air Cabin Filter changed and I had some other repairs which costed me a hefty $800.00. This is my second American made car, but I am getting fed up with these unreliable pieces of **** that these American manufacturers are throwing together. Any suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

A not so happy Cadillac owner

Old 12-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Burning Smell

ORIGINAL: Thik4Sho

Recently, I had a new battery installed and I can't remember smelling this burnt smell prior to that. Also, on August 21, 2008 I had the Air Cabin Filter changed and I had some other repairs which costed me a hefty $800.00. This is my second American made car, but I am getting fed up with these unreliable pieces of **** that these American manufacturers are throwing together. Any suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

A burning smell could be wire insulators or a loose ground causing excessive resistance in the blower motor.

You have to explain to me how a battery and cabin filter replacement relate to reliabilty issues and your comment about the car being a piece of ****. Batteries are usually good for about three years so that's what you got out of it. Cabin Filters just need replacing just like the one on your furnace at home. I'm confused by your message.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:43 PM

Hello Katzmans Caddy,

Thanks for your response. I apologize, but maybe I was a little harsh because of this annoying smell which is freaking me out. To answer your questions, the battery doesn't have anything to do with the reliability of the car and neither does the Cabin Filters. I know that things will go wrong with any car, but I've owned several cars in the past (Not Cadillacs) and I have never smelled anything burning.

You mentioned Wire Insulators and Loose Ground can you explain what those are to me? I am a little confused, so any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Also, are these items expensive and are they covered under the manufacturers warranty which will be expiring soon?

Old 12-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, on a blower motor there are wire connectors to the terminals. I've seen these get loose and cause excessive resistence in the wire creating high heat which melts the insulators/connectors. That would smell bad like burning plastic. Just a thought. The only way to know is to get at the blower motor which usually means getting into the dash. Some cars are easy because once you get the glove box door and insert out the blower motor is there. I don't know where the blower motor is onCTS's. I also don't know where the smell is originating from.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Tech Certified Members

Hello Everyone,

I have noticed a strong burning smell inside my car when the Defrost is on. I have noticed it on several different occasions, but it appears to come and go. I am not getting any messages from the message center and there aren't any indicator lights illuminated. I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealership, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar problem with their 2005 CTS. I do live in a heavily populated area where there are a lot of trees, so I was thinking maybe some debris could have possibly gotten underneath the hood.Recently, I had a new battery installed and I can't remember smelling this burnt smell prior to that. Also, on August 21, 2008 I had the Air Cabin Filter changed and I had some other repairs which costed me a hefty $800.00. This is my second American made car, but I am getting fed up with these unreliable pieces of **** that these American manufacturers are throwing together. Any suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

can you enlighten us what these "repairs" were? NOT including the battery and maint items of course.

Also, in YOUR opinion, what is the unreliable car part of this rant? not clear

Old 12-18-2008, 08:34 AM

Hello All,

Thank you so much for your replies, but to give you an update on my vehicleit is at the dealership as I am typing this response. I still don't know what the diagnosis is, but I will let you know the moment I find out. I am not sure if I stated before, but I seem to smell the burning smell while the Defrost is on, but when the heater is onof course no smell.Once again, thanks to all who replied.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:35 PM

Hello All,

Well, I just got my Cadillac back from the dealership and they could not find anything wrong. I didn't have any leaks and everything appear to be in good working order. However, they did find some leaves on the Exhaust Manifold which they blew off. I truly appreciate everyone who provided their input and have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy 2009.

P.S. I had a new DTS to drive while my car was at the dealership and I love that car.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

P.S. I had a new DTS to drive while my car was at the dealership and I love that car.
No disrespect to your CTS which is very cool, but I consider the DTS the real Cadillac, no wonder you like it.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Everyone,

well ?
are we still blaming Detroit for YOUR choice of parking location and the leaves ?

Old 01-22-2009, 09:09 PM

My 2005 CTS has had an intermittent burning smell over the life of the car but just recently when the heat or the defroster was on, the smell got so bad that I could not breathe in the car. I had to open the windows. I brought the car to the dealership. The service advisor smelled the odor but after testing the car and diagnosing from the computer, they could find nothing wrong.

Then my father's car today had the same buring problem. Two CTS's one month apart of purchase date driven differently, with 2 different engines with vastly different nileage 55,000 kms and 80,500 kms. He took his car in. The service manager smelled the odor. Now, the dealership has both cars. They have no idea on the problem. So if you find anything out, please let me know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Burning Smell