Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

2009 CTS4 with drive line vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Default 2009 CTS4 with drive line vibration

hello to all and a grand happy new year to ya! first post after signing up for this forum of interesting info! caddy lovers, like me, are a finiky bunch but, after all, it is a cadillac!!! i just purchased my third new one the 12th of dec. (had a 2000, then a 2006) good cars, both of them. i do have a problem with this one, though. at 45 to about 52 or so the car develops a u-joint type noise or vibration. sounds like some kid 2 cars back at a stop light with his mega-watt bass speaker cranked up. it's there on acceleration, then goes away when you let up on the gas. it comes in at 45, seems to go away at about 55-58, then shows up again at between 80-85. is there anybody out there that has noticed this same problem? i would like to hear from you. thanks. 85flhtc.

don't let the bastards get to ya!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Default RE: 2009 CTS4 with drive line vibration

Are u sure that is a drive line vibration, it definitely could be that your wheels are out of balance and that would be cheap to get checked. also does it happen on the same streach of highway every time or does it happen anywhere, also make sure your windows are rolled up and rolled down next time u get it to happen to make sure its not a pressure difference outside the cabin thats causing that type of noise, (happened to me personally did sound like a sub)
hope that helps

Old 01-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Tech Certified Members

Has the dealer looked at it? If so, what did they say? If they haven't, why?

Old 01-16-2009, 04:28 PM

caddyman206...yep.been to the dealer twice. not only vibration driveline in mine(1600 miles) but the identical loaner car (2800 miles) had same problem! service manager rode with me in both cars and agreed that something is a-miss. shop tickets verify vibration problems. in my car, they tried replaceing the 'second' (don't know which one they're talking about) drive shaft, and took out 1/8" shim from the carrier to reduce the agularity of the drive line. no help. have contacted cust. sevice, corporate, and they are arrangingfor an engineer to come to the dealership to analize what iswrong. to read the shop ticket, problem is solved. but agree that something is out of whac (shop manager), but are at a loss as to how to solve the problem. their test instrument (E.V.A.) for vibration in vehicle does show 30HZ/0.010GS reading. they say that's ok, but they also agee that i have a problem theresomewhere...i'm beginning to heat over this, chief!!!!! for now it's wait for the engineer to show up, and he'll then brush me off and we will ALLbe unhappy then because i won't be able..well, we'll wait and see. stay tuned if you'er interested 85flhtc

Old 01-16-2009, 04:33 PM

caddyman206...yep.been to the dealer twice. not only vibration driveline in mine(1600 miles) but the identical loaner car (2800 miles) had same problem! service manager rode with me in both cars and agreed that something is a-miss. shop tickets verify vibration problems. in my car, they tried replaceing the 'second' (don't know which one they're talking about) drive shaft, and took out 1/8" shim from the carrier to reduce the agularity of the drive line. no help. have contacted cust. sevice, corporate, and they are arrangingfor an engineer to come to the dealership to analize what iswrong. to read the shop ticket, problem is solved. but agree that something is out of whac (shop manager), but are at a loss as to how to solve the problem. their test instrument (E.V.A.) for vibration in vehicle does show 30HZ/0.010GS reading. they say that's ok, but they also agee that i have a problem theresomewhere...i'm beginning to heat over this, chief!!!!! for now it's wait for the engineer to show up, and he'll then brush me off and we will ALLbe unhappy then because i won't be able..well, we'll wait and see. stay tuned if you'er interested 85flhtc

Old 01-16-2009, 04:41 PM

slowroll...i ment to address my reply to you as you're question fits my problem. sorry for the mix-up 85flhtc

Old 01-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Certified Members

Service manager is not 'wacked' he is doing things as he has to. GM sending Engineer is a good thing to evaluate car. EVA reading is not that bad, but condition is there. Engineer has access to far more info than anyone at the dealership level has.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:21 AM

slowroll.....YES!...an independent ray of hope to iron things out. there wasn't a vibration at all in the car at 10 miles. true caddy. our '06 sts was a butte, too. and we ran our '00 sts146k and enjoyed every mile. so this one is disapointing. don't get me wrong though. we really like the car overall and am hopeing for the best. because that is what we paid for.....85flhtc

Old 01-24-2009, 11:32 AM

slowroll....an update on my car....first, i need to be carefull about what i write! in re-reading my post, i can see how you interprited me as calling my service manager "wacked" ! the way i worded it says it's him, not the car. nooooo. something is wrong with the car is what i ment. i need to be carefull about these things as my service manager is bending over backwards for me to get this car ironed out!!! he is anything else but wacked!!! cence my last post, when the dealer worked on the car and made some changes, they now have the car again cence last wednesday and we now have another loaner. this loaner is alsoan '09 cts-4 with 150 miles on it. yep....same problem as my car. (counting my car, and two different loaners, houston does have a problem) they told me to use it as they plan to keep my car until next tuesday. the customer service guy from GM has called us twice now and has told us that he is working with the dealership to get the problem out of the car. the wife and i did drive three other cars that this cts-4 compeats with and we found that an all-wheel drive vehicle can be manufactured to run without any noise what-so-ever. we drove an AUDI, MERCEDES, and a LEXIS. none of them were noisy! very nice cars but for one thing wrong with them all.....foreign made!!!!!!!!!!! i can't beleive our guys can'tdo as good! this problem just shows how easy it is for one person somewhere along the line of design or vendor or engineering or wherever to screw things up....waiting for a solution....85flhtc

Old 01-24-2009, 11:39 AM

slowroll....an update on my car....first, i need to be carefull about what i write! in re-reading my post, i can see how you interprited me as calling my service manager "wacked" ! the way i worded it says it's him, not the car. nooooo. something is wrong with the car is what i ment. i need to be carefull about these things as my service manager is bending over backwards for me to get this car ironed out!!! he is anything else but wacked!!! cence my last post, when the dealer worked on the car and made some changes, they now have the car again cence last wednesday and we now have another loaner. this loaner is alsoan '09 cts-4 with 150 miles on it. yep....same problem as my car. (counting my car, and two different loaners, houston does have a problem) they told me to use it as they plan to keep my car until next tuesday. the customer service guy from GM has called us twice now and has told us that he is working with the dealership to get the problem out of the car. the wife and i did drive three other cars that this cts-4 compeats with and we found that an all-wheel drive vehicle can be manufactured to run without any noise what-so-ever. we drove an AUDI, MERCEDES, and a LEXIS. none of them were noisy! very nice cars but for one thing wrong with them all.....foreign made!!!!!!!!!!! i can't beleive our guys can'tdo as good! this problem just shows how easy it is for one person somewhere along the line of design or vendor or engineering or wherever to screw things up....waiting for a solution....85flhtc

don't let the bastards get to ya!

Quick Reply: 2009 CTS4 with drive line vibration